Wednesday 16 April 2014

End of an Era in Mosman


I live in a suburb which has its own “village”.  The central part of Mosman is referred to as Mosman Village. There are many things about Mosman one may like or dislike. It is not a suburb for everyone. For some  it may seem posh in a snobbish way and for others exclusive, charming and elegant. For me it is all of that and I like it. What one likes about village atmosphere is that it is small, familiar, centres around its “institutions” and has its markets. Mosman fulfills such requirements. Every first Saturday of each month Mosman Arts & Crafts Markets http://www.mosman.nsw.gov.au/mosman/culture/market  are held. This is fun and reminds me of the times when as a little girl I walked enchanted with my grandmother holding my hand  through the rural food market. This was magic and I hope that Mosman kids have similar feelings to mine and that memories will stay with them for a long time. 

I had two favourite places in Mosman Village to pay a visit to passing them at my errands. One of them already closed its doors and moved away from Mosman. The second one will stop its business the Thursday before Easter. I feel sad about it. Passing the old dojo of John Dolic at Spit Junction where John held his Tai Chi, Qigong, Kung Fu and many other Chinese practice classes where now Reece Plumbing rains I feel things are no more the same. When I came to live in Mosman, 10 years ago, John and his dojo were already a well established land mark of Mosman. John operates now from Carlton and one can meet him in cyber space to practice Qigong. For me it is not the same. I miss my visits at the dojo for friendly chats and healthy,  spiritual practices. 

                             

My second favourite place has been Bridgepoint Books that used to say: we  buy books, we  sell books, we read books, and we talk to people about books.
Very well managed place with books taken care of well, at times covered in plastic for protection . Some of the books were displayed on tables in front of the shop on the first floor of  the Bridge Point Shopping Center.  

                               

Going for shopping I had a choice to take a shorter route or pass the book shop. Most of the times I chose the longer way to see what titles were displayed this time. It was fun and I will miss my detours. The owner of the shop said: something new will come up. I am sure it will, but the Mosman shoppers, including myself, will miss the shop and its owner.
                         
I know that things change with time and that new things come into our lives but a little sadness of good things that have passed will linger.


All the best, guys from Bridgepoing Books and Chinese Martial Arts dojo, I miss your presence in my village.


3 comments:

  1. I have lived in the same neighbourhood since late 1990, that is almost a quarter century and I am one of the pioneers here who moved in when it was still being developed. Today it is a very posh area of the city and real estate prices have gone through the roof. The one thing that has not changed is the frequency with which businesses have been appearing and disappearing. Price of progress I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right and I understand the change process and its inevitability especially businesses appearing and disappearing. Today I feel nostalgic as I particularly liked the bookshop place which is to disappear today.
    How do you feel about the changes around you? It looks that it was very positive in financial sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am indifferent! I am rooted in accepting impermanence and being equanimous about life's offerings.

      Delete