Thursday 1 May 2014

Back in Gdansk

May seems to be the time for me to go to Poland. I have been doing that for quite some time and here I am – in Gdansk again. I came only yesterday and I have a jet-lag. Not the best time to write perhaps but I set myself a target of one post per week and I missed it the last week already. 

Some time ago I really hated the over 24 hours trips and traveled very infrequently to avoid the long flights and related expenses. I still dislike the trips but am more philosophical  and patient about the exercise. And I came to like Gdansk and consider it my second home. This morning I went for a walk to check how is the town after some months not being here.

 It is the 1st of May and a public holiday in Poland. I walked empty streets in a sunny weather but it was fresh coolness is in the air. I suddenly remembered the smell and temperature of spring from many years ago. So different to Australian and I have  forgotten it for many years. Today it was like a refresher course in understanding some things about Polish spring again. One of my very close friends said a few days ago some words describing me and she said in closure ... and you are European to boot... Maybe I am to some extent European  but I forgot the basics like how the spring air feels.

Walking in sun was pleasant and warm enough even if I did not wear a coat. This was actually a mistake as I am still nursing my Australian cold and the clouds soon appeared bringing the temperature down to about 10 degrees. My understanding of Polish weather is not up to scratch yet.

It is much greener this year than it was the last year at the same time of May. 


That is how the park looked the last year  at the beginning of May


And  this is today, the 1st of May. Climate change?

 It is  much greener this year than it was the last year at the same time of May. My favourite chestnut trees are fully in bloom now and the lilacs are about to explode with their fragrant flowers


In Sydney it is past 10 pm and I feel suddenly very sleepy...

2 comments:

  1. It was a holiday here too yeserday and I drove down from a farm house at the foot hills of our Western Ghats to find Pune hot. This year the summer is already hotter than last year! The Met is predicting that we will have less than normal rainfall this year. Climate change is very real.

    Enjoy your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it must be so. I find Australian summers much hotter as well. This may be due to the fact that my everyday life is not lead in air conditioned office but at home without air conditioning. This I am tempted to consider. As far as Poland goes the change of climate is more people friendly and I would consider it positive if I stopped thinking of implications to Earth.

    I am looking forward to my Polish chapter. Missing some Australian friends though.

    I love your new avatar!

    ReplyDelete