Wednesday 15 May 2013

More on patriotism

Lately I have been thinking again about patriotism confronted with sensitivity of one of my friends whose views I often share and always respect. I realised that my approach to patriotism is lighter and more pedestrian than it can be accepted by some who may think of patriotism as something sacred and not to be treated lightly or in a practical manner.
Some think that a holy things should not be soiled and patriotism may be considered a sacred idea. My Polish literature teacher in the high school used to say something opposite – nothing serves better  holy things than to be sometimes besmeared a bit. I liked that.  Maybe this stayed somehow in my memory and made my approach to patriotism lighter than many Poles.
Polish history has been a difficult one. After its glory days prior to the XVIII century, Poland got divided between Russia, Prussia and Austria and disappeared from the map of Europe in 1795 for over 100 years. During that time there were tragic, unsuccessful uprisings attempting to regain independence. They never had any chance to succeed. Many lives were lost as a result. Those events were considered in the time of Romanticism to be acts of patriotism. Polish people often thought that the best way to love the country is to die for it. I think many still consider it to be the best form of patriotism. I always had a problem with it. To me the Polish uprisings were futile and lives wasting. I object to such type of patriotism based on romantic ideas.  Positivism in Polish literature, a part of socio-cultural movement, was much closer to my heart and still is. Working for the country, having positive input to its economical successes, its beauty and cleanness is much more important to me than celebrating endless and sad Polish anniversaries of unsuccessful uprisings, Polish history is full of.

No comments:

Post a Comment