Thursday 12 June 2014

Thank you Poland!

This is how the president  Obama closed his speech  he gave in Warsaw the last week. It was in front of the Royal Castle on the 25th anniversary of Poland’s Freedom Day. It was a very special speech for many Poles and it includes me. The celebrations were broadcasted almost the whole day. I watched and listen and wondered if I heard Obama right. I never expected so many positive words being addressed to Poland and her people. Suddenly the nation bacame better than sliced bread. Not that I think it was not deserved. I always thought that Solidarity had not got enough credit for demise of communism in Europe.  I think what Obama said was sincere even if political in its nature. But what else could have been coming from a politician. The speech was really well written with deep understanding of Polish psyche and history. Every word of Obama resonated with sensitivity of Poles. Mine as well. Poles are sentimental and emotional (among other more practical characteristics). The speech pleased those sentiments. Watching the event and seeing President Komorowski visibly moved and teary I thought about my father who was a very strong and practical man but he would most likely cry a bit if he could here Obama. Tears were definitely in the Polish president eyes even if discrete. It was even more evident in the case of the president’s wife.

                           
                                  
                             

Back to the speech. It started here! Obama said. Yes, I always thought that abolishing of Communism started in Poland, specifically in my newly adopted home town, Gdansk. But the Berlin Wall is better known and became a symbol of the new political beginning. Now, Obama gave Poland credit. It may not be long remembered by the world, but for me it was important to hear such words from the American president. There was an event in Polish history called Miracle at the Vistula. It was when Poland defeated the Red Army at the Battle of Warsaw, an event that have halted the advance of the Communism into Europe and forced Lenin to revise his expansive plans. Obama referred to it and called the events of 25 years back another Miracle at the Vistula. Vistula is the main Polish river running from very south of Poland to Gdansk at the north.

Obama’s command of Polish accent was impressive. You would not say about Polish the same as someone unjustly said about Danish - is not a language it’s a throat disease. But you cannot accuse Polish to have easy pronunciation. Mr Obama said many Polish words in his speech with impressive correctness.
It was a very emotional and happy day for many Poles not only because of the speech but...



Thank you President Obama!

2 comments:

  1. Ah, another Obama fan! I am one too. He is a consummate politician of a kind rarely seen and it is a pity that he gets so much negativism in his own country. I am also a believer that the break down of communism started in Poland but my impression is due to the uprising of Lech Walessa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to know a lot about Poland, perhaps you know a lot about many things, only I rarely come across such good Polish knowledge as yours. I also consider Walesa the main person to make the change. He was the head of Solidarity in those days. Such a shame that the today's Solidarity people hate Walesa and often express it in very unpleasant ways. Mr Obama gave Walesa full credit in his speach and I am grateful for that.

    ReplyDelete