Thursday 15 January 2015

Water Diviner - fairy tale with lessons



I was not planning to see the film. I thought that I had seen enough of war films being brought up on Holocaust based films and literature. I understand that there have been tragedies that nations can not just forget even if many years have passed since the events. War stories have been regurgitated as, of course, there is a lot to process and hopefully learn from. I understand that Gallipoli has been such an event for Australia and I respect it. That does not mean that I wanted to lower my, in recent times, fragile mood. I was not in the market for a depressing story. In fact I was in a need of something uplifting.

I am very glad that a friend gave me a gentle push and I decided to give the film a go. It was mainly for the company of my friend, though, I decided to see the film after all. And here came a big, nice surprise. I really enjoyed the film. In comparison to the holocaust inspired films this was really a light weight event. Fun, sweet, romantic, beautiful scenery took over the deadly serious subjects of war. I loved a lot of this hardly believable story. I needed a fairy tale and I got it. When I think of how the hero of the film, Connor, found locations of his long lost sons, how he managed to get support for his mission from unlikely multinational sources, water divining mysteries, by contrast, seem to be most likely and scientific.  
The film is telling a war story and teaches about its atrocities, about forgiveness, about duality of truth but not always in a solemn way. Some of the “holly” subjects are even slandered and this does not hurt their holiness. Even the love story is highly improbable but so sweet and pleasant to watch that one forgives lack of psychological probability. I did anyhow.

"Everything is in the coffee" - she says as she helps the fate a bit but cheeting
What I find interesting is that Russell Crowe, the film star and the director is to me a quintessential “simple Aussie boy” even if born in New Zealand – a larrikin, tough, no nonsense person who seriously supports South Sydney Rabbitohs – a rugby league team. There is more sensitivity, romanticism and softness to the Aussie boys that I had understood. 

Conor and his cheeky, little  helper 

I reflected on Polish ways of making war inspired films. Sure, there have been comedies related to the war subjects but Water Diviner style is somewhat out of Polish possibilities to make a war film in a similar way. At least, I perceive it that way. I think I leave my national comparisons without further reflections. It could lead to a total confusion of my readers and me.


Bottom line – I recommend the film.

6 comments:

  1. I would not classify Holocaust stories as war stories. It happened during the war, but was very loosely related to it. As for Polish war movies. It is difficult to compare to Australian for two reasons. There are no Polish movies related to the WWI. During the WWII entire Polish territory was occupied, which creates totally different perspective.
    Thanks for recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pharlap,
      Sorry for not answering your comment for such a long time. My health presents me with challenges lately and this stops all activities. Hopeflully I am on a better streak now and hope to stay that way. Maybe even plan to come to Melbourne one day.
      I do understand the difference between the Holocaust and war stories but for me both are about sensless life loss and personal tragedies.
      Actually, Battle of Warsaw 1920 is a similar type of film to the Water Diviner. A bit post WWI but still. This may wake up another protest from you but I like your corrections.

      Delete
  2. Rightho! If it ever comes to our theaters, I will see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ramana, I am still alive but have been out of action for some weeks. Plan to read and write again.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you for reading. I am guessing that you found my post coincidentally, looking for more technical information about water.

      Delete