Thursday 21 May 2015

Disciplinarian fathers

I just finished  the first book of Knausgaard life story – The Struggle. It was about his father. The book  is  brilliantly and painfully honestly written.  At least that is how the first book – Death in the Family - came across to me. Reading it I could find my own, old feelings about my father. About his heavy steps on the staircase, that immediately changed my mood from playful and light-hearted to watchful, scared and almost resentful. My father was a good hard working man who was a great role model for me and I am still thankful for some of my characteristics that I gained by osmosis observing him and his approach to life. So, why such a negative reaction when he  appeared in my peaceful and happy place. He loved me but I did not see it and did not understand that his love was not about kisses, hugs, smiles, softness or encouragement. He was responsible for the family and he took it very seriously. It seemed that it he never felt that he had done enough for us to relax and rest on his laurels.  He was straight to the point, a no nonsense person. A self made man, a bit rough at the edges but deep down sensitive. As a child I did not see the sensitive, loving side of his, I only saw that when he patted me on the shoulder I almost sat down on the floor, his caressing touch was so heavy. It almost hurt. I was afraid of him and tuned in to the sounds of home and its surrounding to recognise when he will be coming and I will have to change and present a protective and at the same time good girl demeanour.


When I think back to the times, I wish I could have a second round of my childhood. I would see my father in a different light and I would spend more time with him. Even if I remember him as a disciplinarian father, he never punished me. But I was still afraid of him and avoided his company. Sad and silly, really. So many missed opportunities for both of us.

Reading The Death in the Family I understood feelings of young Karl Ove. They were similar to my old feelings. The whole book is about the father and different chapters of his life. Many complexities and contradictions of the person are masterfully described. Still reading some reviews of the book there is typically a reference to a cruel and distant father. I read more into the father character. I saw a sensitive person as well as disciplinarian and indifferent father. There were times when he wanted to get close to his young son, share experiences with him. It did not work out. My father also wanted to spend time with me and we did have good times together. Like when he first taught me to ride a bicycle and some years later to ride his Russian huge and heavy motorbike IŻ. 


The motorbike looked something like this one. I get all mushy looking at it now and reminiscing my past a bike rider.
My father was  a very ingenious and dedicated teacher setting up motorbike on bricks in such a way that I could learn changing gears and operate most of the buttons with wheels spinning harmlessly in the air. In  the second stage of my “driving course”,  the motorbike was taken off the bricks. Father found a save place for me to practice and he let me loose. But he also held the motor bike to stop it with his force if I did something really silly.  It must have been physically demanding to run behind the motorbike holding it  in with me making all typical mistakes of uncontrollably speeding up or braking. Why didn’t I see that it was love he was giving me? On the strength of this education I got my driving licence at the age of 16 which was very unusual at the time in Poland. Thank you father.

My musing about disciplinarian fathers brought me to the point  that it is sometimes difficult to see beyond their harshness. Not a revelation? To me it is in a way.


There is going to be a sequel to this post. Or two. I want to explore my thought and feeling more.

6 comments:

  1. I had to think about this post. I haven't read My Struggle - First Book. Father-son relations are often covered, this seems to be the case here, father daughter relations less so. One of the themes in father-son stories sometimes is regret.that the barriers could not be overcome or were not even recognised until too late. The need to go back to resolve is also a feature..

    The way others see our parents is often very different to the point that we may not recognise it. There is a story there in terms of my relationship with my own father. Perhaps I should write that sometime. In the meantime, will be interested in where you go in your muse. Love the bike. Just trying to imagine a young AC on it zooimng around. Is that another story?

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS, my father was a disciplinarian father in some ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you describe as father-son stories and problems applies to my father an me as well. One of my friends said that some fathers who want to have a son treat their daughters as if they were a boy. They may teach them to ride a motorbike for example or insist on a practical choice of profession. I never had though of myself as a son substitute but maybe there is something in the theory?

    ReplyDelete
  4. With only daughters, eldest became my rugby watching companion. Carmel, the girl's aunt who had only boys, became very close to them because of shopping! There was a discussion at one point where she said that not having any girls there were girly (not he phrase) things that she couldn't talk about and would love a daughter. I was very close to my mother, there is a mother-son thing. So it all gets very complicated.

    There may well have been things that your Dad wanted to share with you because he didn't have a son. This doesn't mean that he would have changed you, he clearly loved you, but (like me with Helen) fathers have things that they want to share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My siblings and I had a tumultuous relationship with our late father. Eventually he ended up with me to live out his last four years and they were no less stressful to me. Sometimes life does play tricks with parent child relationships and while many have common themes, almost all have different stories to tell. My father taught me how to drive a car. One of the few things that he did right in his life! I learnt to ride motorcycles on my own and had a ball for many years riding them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this nice blog. I read it completely and get more interesting knowledge from this. I again thanks for sharing such a nice blog.
    https://blog.mindvalley.com/disciplinarian-parenting

    ReplyDelete