Friday 19 June 2015

From Sydney to Gdansk

It has been my time to move for some time to the northern hemisphere. I have rather ambivalent approach to the fact that I move from one country to another like a yo-yo. To some it looks glamorous but to me it is what I just have to do. I even had a tendency to look at it negatively.  It was an unpleasant necessity. This year I have decided that I will take a different approach. I intend to enjoy my stay here, in Europe, from the day one. This means from today. This is the promise given to myself and I intend to keep it.

I am back to Gdansk, in the environment I know well. Not much has changed. Friends who stayed in the place added few towels to my possessions, at least temporarily; the grass in the garden is yellow rather than green, as I saw it last, but the rest seems to be as I left it. I am still taking stock. It is fun; I find things that I forgot about during the time I have been at home in Sydney. They are usually nice surprises. Except for one. I found a rotten fish in my defrosted freezer. My first chore was to dispose of the fish and clean the fridge very thoroughly. It has been a lot of airing in the kitchen but the smell sill lingers. I do not remember leaving the fish to rot; I did not turn the fridge off myself. It was my friend who was supposed to do it. And he did. I think I better leave the fish affair uninvestigated.   After all, it is a rotten business.

                               Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania Singapore airlines

The trip was long. It seems to be longer and longer every year as the layoffs are longer.   Strangely enough, I go through it better now than in the past. Knowing that it will take about 30 hours before I will breathe fresh air again, I resign myself to the fact. Arriving at the airport I step in into a travel bubble. For the next many hours things of my normal life will not require any action. I will be only reading, writing, watching films, eating and sleeping. Knowing that relaxes me. This time I was reading Knausgaard second book from the autobiographical series - My Struggle and an NLP book by Richard Bandler himself – Get the Life You Want. I watched three films – Cinderella, Focus and English Vinglish.

 It was so uncharacteristic of me to pick Cinderella to watch, a film  for children but I found it fun and I watched it with interest. One needs to feed the inner child sometimes.  The second film did not require a mental stretch either.  The film is about a con man played by Will Smith and his partner in crime, very pretty Margot Robbie. Interesting thing is that in both of the films, played two Australian actresses – Cate Blanchett as a wicket step mother and Margot Robbie as a skillful pocket thief. None of the actresses got particularly challenged by the roles but both looked fantastic.  

English Vinglish is an Indian film about a woman who is systematically put down by her well educated husband and her daughter because she can not speak English. As Shashi is clever and determined, while visiting her sister in New York, she goes to an English school. Learning the language fast and well in the span of four weeks she gains respect and admiration of her family and most importantly self-respect as well. It is a sweet, funny, uncomplicated film that makes one feel good. It was my definite favourite of the three.

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania english vinglish
Shashi and her international class
                                         
I traveled from Sydney with Singapore Airlines, absolutely fantastic. Later, I found out that it has been voted #2 in the world by passengers. Well deserved. Changing to Lufthansa was like swapping exclusive comfort and service for no fuss efficiency.


It has not been the first time I changed planes in Frankfurt. I knew that the distances between gates were exceptionally big. This time however I had technology to tell me more about it. My fitbit told me that during the day spent in the air and the Frankfurt airport I did 13,000 steps and walked 8.85 km!!! One can get fit in Frankfurt without leaving the airport. And I did not do any flaneuring at the airport, just walked the necessary distance.

11 comments:

  1. Good to read details of your trip and safe arrival. I hope that the fish smell has now gone. As you say, a rotten business! I haven't seen any of the films, although heard all about Cinderella from Clare. Interesting about fitbit. Who would have thought you would get so much exercise while flying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what Clare thought about Cinderella. For me it was a new experience and I looked at it to relax. But my analytical nature found some useful life messages in the fairy tale. Aren't they all supposed to install some beliefs in us?

    The smell is almost gone and the place is looking quite respectable if not perfect. I am keeping to my good resolutions and leave myself some place to fail from time to time. Not much, mind you. I still intend to make my Polish chapter meaningful and pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clare really liked it, AC. She has a stand at Supernova this weekend. Failing on a few things does not a failure make, just flexibility! Charge on. I wonder if Ramana saw that film? He hasn't mentioned it I don't think. On India, Helen is in Mumbai this week on work.Looking forward to he feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is from eldest. bought by accident on her way to Mumbai - haruki murakami. I hadn't heard of him, but he is apparently very good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sure what you mean. That I should check out Haruki Murakami books? A reccomendation from Helen??? Norwegian Wood? It has been translated to Polish apparently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too cryptic! Helen bought one at the airport, then came comments from her friends. I had never heard of him. but from Wikipedia he seems interesting!

      Delete
    2. They say - travels educate.

      Delete
  6. H. Murakami - IQ84 - strong experience.
    Shifting from Singapore Aitlines to Lufthansa. I got the same impression. Another point is , that paasengers on Singapore Aisrlines were smaller than those flying to Frankfurt.
    I envy you visit to Poland. Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strong experience, you say. Am I ready for that? Would you recommend? Still has to get into my queue. I am all about Knausgaard right now and still a lot to read before I move on.
      Yes, it is good to be here again. As soon as I want to sell my Gdansk place, I get tempted to keep it for one year longer. But if you know anyone interested, I’ll sell. All about the place http://acobserving.blogspot.com/2015/05/the-apartmentis-part-of-house-built-in.html

      Delete
  7. SA used to be my favourite carriers during my travelling days. And English Vinglish is one of my all time favourite films. I know other women who had been in similar situations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found out from my fellow passenger that SA is a more expensive airline in relation to the others. I think they deserve it but one has to consider that.
    English Vinglish is just perfect flight movie. Maybe it is because of reading your blog I started to notice Indian film more. There are shown quite frequently on Polish TV. Making films seems of big interest in your country and many films are finding their way into the world cinema scene.

    ReplyDelete