Saturday 5 December 2015

Emma Watson, I salute you


I must confess that I am up to date on Polish and European affairs, but not so much on Australian. I feel a bit guilty about it.  My excuse is that a lot is happening in Poland at the moment and even if I know I cannot do much to change it, I am drawn to Polish news hoping that maybe I will get some reassuring news one day. This day has not come yet. So, I read and I listen in hope. I would like to offload my frustration and fear caused by the situation by writing about it, but not now. I may do in a future post. Today I am going to write as a feminist. By coincident, I found today an article about Emma Watson and her speech her speech at HeForShe movement in the United Nations. I had to check when it actually happened and it was around March this year. Tony Abbott apparently joined the campaign, good on you Tony! I can see even more reasons to extend my interests to Australian news; this is my home country, after all.

Emma Watson

                                                                                            

I want to write about the Emma’s speech and my impressions. I was moved to tears by the speech. Emma Watson is a wizard not only in Harry Potter but in social/political life as well. And I felt ashamed. I have always been convinced about women’s rights to be treated as equal to men. I always have been, but I never was inclined to be vocal about it. I perhaps did not like potential confrontations… I am not sure but this is neither the time nor the place for self-analysis. In my braver moments I called myself a feminist giving quickly my definition – feminist is the person who helps women to live life their way. Emma Watson talks about general understanding of the word “feminist” as to be a person hating men. This is perhaps what I subconsciously had in mind when I was hesitant to call myself a feminist. I do not hate men, far from it. I just think that in work force women should have even chances as men to succeed if they have the same ability to do the job.

Recently I heard a man saying – women are cleverer than men. I was supposed to be flattered, I believe. But I find such generalization silly and untrue. I would agree, however, with somewhat altered statement - women are cleverer than men generally think women are. I have met many clever, capable women and men and I came across many silly and incompetent people regardless the gender.

Listening to this moving and inspirational speech of the young actress, I decided to get out of the closet and confess – I AM A FEMINIST. My life has been of a woman working together with men in similar roles to my male colleagues.  I even studied mathematics not realizing that women were not supposed to understand such things. Thanks God, I did not know that it was not for me.

When I came to Australia, my earlier indoctrination served me well. Hearing sexist comments I thought – “Wow, this Australians have strange sense of humour”. I did not get offended by what I thought were silly jokes and I did not harp. This saved me a lot of grief, I believe. When I eventually got the message, I was on my way to succeed as an IT professional in IBM. I had some women colleagues, but I was frequently in situations when meeting were opened with words: Good morning gentlemen and Anna. I still think it was fun.


Inspired by Emma Watson, I will investigate how to become an active feminist and become a SheForShe.

7 comments:

  1. You say a "feminist is the person who helps women to live life their way". What is the 'other' of that? My daughter and her two daughters would maybe be interested in why I feel 'excluded' by the thought behind such a label.

    Simplistic labels can be counter-productive, I think. Label yourself as 'feminist' and this implies there is an 'other' group - a non- or anti- 'feminist'. If I chose to call myself a 'masculinist' would you think that automatically classed me as someone who held women as somehow of less value?

    Surely not.

    kvd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not like labels either and my earlier “definition” was rather an excuse for not saying – I am for women who are not treated as equals.

      But answering your question – what is the “other” of women living life their way – They are ways of some husbands, churches or societies. It seems that your family was not exposed to violence or forcing family members to behave against their will. Like studying, working, having gay relationships, having abortion…In your and your family life such issues may have not surfaced but there are many countries and societies where they do. Like in violently catholic Poland right now. But even in our Australian situations women are not always treated equally to men e.g. doing the same jobs and being paid less. This is rather a rule than an exception. This is what I am against.

      I believe that there are people who are non-feminist or anti-feminist. We would not have so many discussions on feministic subjects if the general perception was that women should have equal rights to men.

      I do not believe that it logically follows that if you call yourself a ‘masculinist’ you will be automatically classed as someone who considers women as having less value to men. The same as it does not follow that if I am a feminist so I am against men. I have always been impressed by your knowledge and ability to search for information. Maybe you could be tempted to find the name of the logical error that describes drawing incorrect conclusions like the one you did. I forgot the name and it bothers me.
      Anna

      Delete
    2. Possibly to be found with this handy guide: http://www.relativelyinteresting.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/10-commandments-of-rational-debate.jpg

      In terms of "active feminism" I'd be very much interested in your position on the recent Clementine Ford inspired discussion of how to respond to anti-feminist trolls.

      kvd

      Delete
    3. I had to do some research before to comment on Clementine Ford. I simply had not heard of her before, this shows my inadequate involvement in active feminism. Googling around I have not found all that much about her and I do not feel like reading her books so I still do not know how to comment. However I found a blog entry commenting on the person in question that I agree with its content in principle. https://newmatilda.com/2015/12/08/why-courageous-clementine-ford-is-not-the-answer/. This is the best I can offer right now as an opinion.

      The guide is indeed handy and some of the rules would apply here - 6, 9 and 10. I also think that being a ‘masculinist’ whatever this may be and “holding women as equal” are not mutually exclusive, the same way as being a feminist and hating men are not one and the same thing.
      Anna

      Delete
    4. I would have said 2 3 6 9 - but then, I'm a male :)

      What worries me more is that I gave you an absolute 'free kick' right up front by saying "I feel excluded" and buried it within a reference to my child and her children. Politeness can only go so far; you should have simply responded "hey it's not about you".

      That reference to New Matilda you found - is the first of now 5 or 6 articles generated by the heat present in the comments to that particular article. It's a long slog, but I recommend reading the nearly 500 comments, to get some idea of the depth of feeling, and very real issues, the author did not consider.

      On Clementine, I've been reading her ever-growing confidence since about 2000-2001, when she was based in Adelaide and ran a blog called "April Apple" - which you'd have to get to now via the Wayback Machine. She is very abrasive, but then the things about which she is passionate deserve such depth of feeling. I like her (but grits teeth as to her choice of words sometimes).

      If I'd sent my first post to my daughter I can promise you she would have politely said something like "Dad, this is not about you or your feeling excluded." I claim credit only for some of the politeness, but her views are her own; just as yours are yours - which is just as it should be.

      kvd

      Delete