Sunday 1 January 2017

2017 has started - Happy New Year!

So, it is already 2017. One wonders how this year will pan out. I hope it will be good. The last year has been a long year for me and marked by some departure of friendships. But it was a year I put in a good year category. The friendships which went away were not real friendships and the fact that I eventually open my eyes to see the reality made me feel lighter. It also meant that I had the courage to say NO, to my illusions and longings. I feel that it was a long year as a lot has happened; there were many uncertainties that turned out positively, many activities and new interests that absorbed my attention. Bridge, Book and Probus clubs added a lot to my social life and gave me a sense of belonging. There is this new kitchen in my place now, not perfect but good enough, so cooking is a pleasure now. I have not written about my concerns regarding Poland after the latest election, but they are considerable. European, especially Polish politics took a lot of my thoughts, attention and worries.

I am starting the New Year promising myself to follow the philosophy of Stoics. The book by Piotr Stankiewicz about “how to live wisely, well and happily” is still on my night table and I keep reading it reflecting on the messages, often taking them to heart and practice. One of the advice I will follow this year is to watch how I spend my time with the intention to reduce wasting it. This, of course, means that I have to have a good knowledge of what is important to me and I think that I am quite clear here. There is considerable room for improvement in my habits and the ways I spend my time. Some computer games will be cut down together with listening to Polish political commentary while solving sudokus.
During my trip to Bali, I rekindled my interest in Qigong and renewed my regular practice. I realised some time ago the value of discipline in my life; the energy and good feeling it gives me. Qigong is already back in my daily routine, and I will add to it meditation as well.  Writing my morning pages has been valuable to me in the past, but it seems to take that much time that the whole morning can easily become one long morning routine. So, my morning pages are still under consideration.

Friendship has always been one of my core values. Sometimes I was led astray, by relationships that I wished were friendships, but they were not. I think I am better now in the friendship selection process and do not get too upset when I come across a disappointment. I hope that this year will bring me lasting friendships, be it face to face or the internet based. I will definitely treasure and cultivate them.

There are some projects which I am planning for this year. Bathrooms project will be the main one and being burnt by the turbulent kitchen installation, I am hesitant and apprehensive. It will require some self-work to move to a positive mindset. I do not think it is going to be easy, but I will do my best.

Bridge, reading and writing are my pleasures, and I intend to continue all of that. They are pleasures, and I also put them into “important” category.

The trip to Poland with a detour to Berlin and Madrid is in my 2017 plans, and I trust I will be able to make it happen.  Another trip I would like to make is to Tasmania to visit Mona and catch up with a friend I have not seen for many, many years.

I have some health checks planned which emotionally are not easy to go through and here I will use my stoic teachings not to worry about potential problems and take things as they come, knowing that some life events are outside of our control and that sometimes things happen unexpectedly.


My goals for this year are less aggressive than they have been in the past and at this stage of my life, I like it that way. 

4 comments:

  1. I wish you all the very best for 2017 and hope that you achieve all the goals that you have set yourself.

    I simply want to be the way I am, contented, doing things I like doing and not doing things that I don't want to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much Ramana. I also wish you a good New Year. May you be contented with each day of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you that all your plans go on smoothly and bring you lots of satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, I will do my best. I am also wishing you and the family a fantastic 2017.
      Marcel Weyland and his grandaughter are planning to go to Poland in June. Krakow and Warsaw.

      Delete