Thursday 15 June 2017

Corpus Christi


My religious catholic times are over. This came with the package of noticing discrepancies between what the church practices and preaches. In addition, I divorced my first husband and the relationship moved into a true  friendship phase. The church however does not forgive such mistakes and excommunicates poor souls who change their minds as far as marriage goes. So, I was excommunicated and my old religious practices had to be stopped.
Living in Sydney as a non-Catholic I am typically unaware of the church holidays, not so in Poland. Today is the Corpus Christi day and that involves processions around each town, and I believe, villages as well. In Gdansk in the several parts of the town there are local Corpus Christi processions organised by the church and its more enthusiastic believers. For many years, the street at which I live has been selected to be on the route of the local procession. Further, the fence of the house has been especially honoured by erection of one of the four procession altars that belong to the process. I am respectful of the proceedings even if it is not my fairy-tale any more.

Yesterday, I noticed a couple of ladies energetically cleaning up the pavement around the house. They paid particular attention to crevices between the small granite stones at the edge of the pavement. I did not connect immediately their activities with the forthcoming Corpus Christi, but eventually I clicked when they asked me to keep an eye on potential cars that might want to park next to the altar that was going to be erected the next day morning. I promised to keep a watch, hoping nobody will park as I would perhaps not have enough motivation to intervene. Thankfully, nobody did.

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania corpus Christi gdansk 2017
This is the view of one of the main processions in Gdansk. Much more grandiose than my local one.Maybe the next year I will make my way to the Old Town of Gdansk for the occasion?
                                   
This morning I was waiting for the procession to pass next to my windows and around 11:00 I heard religious singing heralding the event. First a group of regular believers appeared, followed by church officials dressed in white albs, then little girls with baskets full of flower petals to be spread in front of the main priest marching under a canopy carried by four men. At the end about two hundred believers walked with their heads down showing particular respect. I liked observing the event, but had to be very discreet about it not to offend the religious feelings of anyone or trigger off potential aggression of people who may have not liked to be observed during their religious rituals. While watching, I prayed a bit in my own non-Catholic way similar to meditation. I liked the peacefulness coming with the moment.

The priest read some scriptures, just few meters away from my window where I was hiding behind a net curtain, then he performed a very short part of a mass and few minutes later, the whole procession walked away singing again.


To me, the whole process belongs more to the XIXth century than to the modern world of the XXIst, but such is Poland. It lives in the past and the future at the same time. In most of the cases I like it. 

2 comments:

  1. Religious processions and festivals disturbing normal civilian life is so common here that what you have described as happening in Poland is like comparing a children's stick ball game to the World Cup cricket match! If you go to youtube and click for Indian festivals, you will get a plethora of videos from which you can choose whichever you want. I recommend Mumbai's Ganesh festival! And this is the funny part again about India, there is no authority anywhere to excommunicate a Hindu from anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hindu i Buddhism are kind religions. Catholic is a cruel and punishing one and at times creates hate and vindictiveness in the followers. I am glad that I was excommunicated so early. It gave me an opportunity to find alternatives and I did.

    I watched the film about the Mumbai's Ganesh festival and it looks great! Thank you for the pointer. This is a joyful occasion, I can not say it about Polish ways. Maybe in the North things have to be gloomy?

    ReplyDelete