Sunday 27 August 2017

Shakespeare in Love in Gdansk

Encouraged by comments to my previous post, I continue the list of my recent Polish impressions. The next item on the list is the Gdansk Shakespeare Theatre and the play I saw there Shakespeare in Love.

                                      Image result for szekspir zakochany gdansk

The film, on which screenplay the theatre version is based, was popular, but I saw only fragments of it on TV some years ago and have no comparison to the recently seen its theatrical version. The play was originally produced on the West End in 2014 and the Polish premiere was this year. As I have not been before to the newly open Gdansk Shakespeare Theatre I decided to see the play together with my friends. We really wanted to see the theatre in action as all of us are moderately keen on Elizabethan style productions but this play was the only option at the time. What neither of us particularly like is the ribald atmosphere and language of such plays. While my friends kept their intellectual expectations of the performance, I went with the flow and thoroughly enjoyed the energy of mostly young actors, costumes and choreography of the rather risky and showy movements. And I loved the performance of the dog! Apparently, the English canine actor was also very good, but I could not believe the composure and quality of acting of the funny Polish little French bulldog. Generally, the acting was based on artistry of the movements rather than on deep and meaningful dialogs. It was fun. Basic and crude? Yes. Still very enjoyable and very well performed.

Image result for shakespeare theatre gdansk
It is an acquired taste and it grows on you as one finds out more about its story.
                             
Now the theatre... I was again very impressed by its architecture, functionality and the technical solutions.  Walking around this very new and modern theatre a couple of years ago, I was disappointed by the black cube plonked very close to the old town. I thought, how morbid and depressing.  I guess that many may see it still as an unattractive building. I, however, changed my mind and am in awe of it.  Apparently, Gdansk was a popular destination for English travelling players in the first half of the 17th century. Each summer the English troupes visited this Hanseatic town with their plays performed in the Gdansk first public playhouse called The Fencing School. The building stood at the same place as the current Shakespeare Theatre and it looked similar to the current building. Come to think about it none theatre has a need for windows. They somehow do, though, even if there is no need thfor it. At least they have imposing entrance with columns or other ornaments. The Gdansk Shakespeare Theatre dos not have any of that, even the entrance is pretty much disguised so the black cube looks very sombre. Similarly The Fencing Scholl was a no frills building.

The Fencing School, engraving from 1687
     
Inside there are three levels of galleries running along three walls. The theatre does not seem big and I was surprised to find out that has the capacity to sit 600 people. As it is the theatre in the Elizabethan manner, there is place for standing audience on all levels.

                                  Image result for shakespeare theatre gdansk

One of the attraction is the retractable roof that opens and closes in three minutes. I did not expect to see it in action and was very nicely surprised to see the sunlight suddenly streaming into the theatre. Early start at 4:30 of the performances made sense. We were supposed to see the roof in action as well as the play.

Image result for shakespeare theatre gdansk
Renatto Rizzi on the roof of the theatre (the roof opened) . I like this photo, it shows what a small man can achieve through his genius. There is some loneliness in the image as well. They say creating is a lonely preoccupation.
                       
The theatre was built by an Italian architect Renatto Rizzi and modelled on earlier theatres. The result is a spectacular Black Box building harmoniously mixing old with modern.
Building of the theatre was a really international affair. Charles, Prince of Wales is its patron and he has been actually involved in some of the theatre issues. In July this year, Prince William and his wife Catherine visited the theatre to see a short play and meet people of the theatre. Links with the British royal family continue.

5 comments:

  1. I got a message that there are problems with posting comments on my blog. This is a test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish that I could be in Poland and see this.

    We have a historic Royal Opera House in Mumbai which has recently been restored and saved from modern builders who wanted to demolish it and build a sky scraper there.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Opera_House_(Mumbai)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad it all works again.

      It would have been a crime if the Royal Opera House in Mumbai was demolished. The developers across the world get away with too much. I am glad that they lost in this case.

      Delete
  3. I hope you will return to Australia in not so far away future. Then you will have a chance to enjoy authentic Shakespeare plays in authentic surrounding - see here:
    https://popupglobe.com.au/
    But only in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Authentic" seems to be in fashion. I suspect that Australian version of "authentic" Shakespearean plays may be very good. Aussies have the temperament and larrikin nature to play this way. But for me there is time for a "modern" way of playing Shakespeare. Wonder where to find it. Movies?

    ReplyDelete