Saturday 9 December 2017

Random thoughts

I am going through a little strange time in my life, a time when I have reached a high degree of detachment from my everyday interests and activities. I went through a rather serious and planned hospital procedure four days ago. It was my decision rather than necessity. Even if I took it well and things went accordingly to plan, it was a lot of unknowns involved and this is normally stressful. I somehow managed to transport to a bubble where my priorities were concentrated on the best emotional preparation for what was to come. Now it is time to come back to normal, but it is comfortable in my bubble. I am free of any duties, so I read, think, watch serials on my PC, play bridge online and sleep. Rather nice, especially that there is no pain involved only some tiredness.
                                                      Image result for heart pvi
This type of life does not give me many subjects to write about. This will soon come when I progress with the books I read. It is The Blazing World by Siri Hustvedt, Madame Bovary, Winter by Karl Ove Knausgaard and perhaps a story or two from Nocturnes by my latest favourite writer Kazuo Ishiguro. A lot to read at the same time, I admit. The Blazing World is my focus.

For now, I think I will come back to the subject of my previous post on Chekhov and modern adaptations of his plays. I have been thinking about it a bit as I felt uncomfortable with my way of receiving the Sydney performance. I thought, I thought and I came to the same conclusions as earlier on. I think it is disrespectful by a translator of a classical master to change the form of the original play, its climate, mood, type of language and even the story. Very little of The Tree Sisters is left after Upton’s treatment. The text like this one cannot be updated to the extent it has been done this time. It is the duty of the translator and the director of the play to serve the master rather than modify his text to serve a personal purpose. I wonder what was supposed to be achieved. Feeling bigger than Chekhov? Making it easier for the public to get it? Not good ideas in my mind.

Chekhov was a wise man who loved the characters he depicted in his plays and showed what was going inside them with tenderness, but with honesty nevertheless. This, in my opinion, the Sydney adaptation missed. I felt that the characters were mocked and judged. Very un-Chekhov. The sense of humour was another miss. Chekhov’s sense of humour is deep and subtle. I could not say anything like that about the play I saw. It was just crude.

Perhaps it is enough on the subject coming from somebody who is not a theatre critic. 

4 comments:

  1. I recently got entangled in reading some serious stuff on Hinduism and Economics, through a process of reviews coming my way. I got fed up and started to read a fiction based on a character from one of our epics The Mahabharata. It is the first time that I am reading this particular author. The book was given to me by the daughter of a friend who felt that I would find it interesting. It is an amazing book and I am unable to keep it down except to attend to totally unavoidable matters.

    In case you are interested, you can research - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Palace_of_Illusions:_A_Novel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ramana, I may enjoy the new take of an old classic in this case. I have made a mental note of it and put it on my very long reading list.
      I have heard of Mahabharata at one of my spiritual discussions, I attended some time ago, it seemed interesting but very heavy and philosophical.

      Delete
  2. Firstly I wish you to feel comfortable with your health status and to adjust your daily schedule accordingly.
    As for Three Sisters, why to make updated translation or rather adaptation?
    Similar thing occurred recently in Poland, another translation of Joseph's Conrad - Heart of darkness. Even the title is different from previous translation - previously it was Jądro ciemności (The core of darkness) in the newest translation it is Serce ciemności, which is a literal translation of Heart of darkness.
    I just wonder why people bother to translate something already translated. Obvious reason is if the original translation is poor. Another one I can imagine is that someone got so attached to the book, that he/she wants to be involved in some way in it. Translation is an obvious choice. And finally - modernization - I will tell it in such a way that current generation will be interested.
    What is funny for me is the fact that the only people, who cannot enjoy these translations are countrymen of the author. Nobody in Russia will attempt to write Three Sisters by A. Chekhov, nobody in England will write Heart of darkness by J.Conrad. What a loss or maybe luck?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are improving with my health and I have been today for a walk without any sensations.

      I listened to a discussion of Seweryn and Wyrypajew who just staged Uncle Vanya in Warsaw. This is a very exact Chekhov's text and they talked about it with passion. They actually triggered off my second post on the subject (in the lack of new ones) and now I think that it would be so good to see the Warsaw performance. Maybe with some luck and help of good friends?
      Sometimes, I think that I got into too serious reading lately, but you are not much different in this respect. Something Polish about it?

      Delete