Tuesday 27 March 2018

Back to posting

It has been a while since I posted. It is mainly that what was happening in my life was difficult to live through and difficult to write about. Even if I am typically quite candid with what I write, I want to leave the details aside for now. But I want to go back to writing my posts, so it looks that I will be a bit enigmatic and I hope that this will not matter.
I always wanted to lead a meaningful life. Sometimes my friends thought that I am too serious and that I labour the point of meaningful life too much. Now, I think, more than ever I want to live better than I was managing so far. But what is better? What I can change and how my days need to look like?
In the last weeks, I put increased emphasis on reading stoic thoughts. In fact, I started the year with a Daily Stoic book recommended to me by a friend. This is interesting and a good morning practice, but the current situation requires something more. So, I I decided that I want to read again the book by the polish writer Piotr Stankiewicz “The art of living according to stoics”. I felt that it would be very helpful to read the book with new interest. Alas, I left the book in Poland. And here I discovered once again the power of technology. After a short search on the internet I found an e-version of the book and some minutes later the book was downloaded to my iPhone. It felt like magic. I have been using internet and online shopping quite extensively so the situation should not have surprised me. It was just that I wanted the book so much that the sudden ability to read it at my will felt like many doors opening for me. I have not been thinking about it that I can read any book that is in Polish bookshops without going to the country. Typically, I prefer to read English originals, but there are books that are not translated into English that they suddenly became available to me. I like it.
So, what about living according to stoics? One of the most powerful and useful to me messages is that there are two things in life: those we can influence and those that we cannot. Worrying about the ones that are not under our control is silly as we can not do anything about it. The way is to accept it in a calm way. This is indeed an art that will require some practice, but I must say that I am doing not too badly already.

I guess I will stop at that for today, but my intention of going back to blogging has been fulfilled. The life is going back to the old shape, but there is a challenge ahead of me to live better than I was and use the time better. Procrastination will disappear. 

5 comments:

  1. Welcome back to blogging. I have been wondering as to what had happened to you. I have been reading stuff mostly pertaining to our local politics and keeping abreast of developments and as such have not been able to read anything new. I saw a couple of Hindi movies which are of no interest to my readership and so I haven't blogged reviews of gthem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to get your comment. I appreciate that you read my blog and comment. It something that grounds me. I am going through difficult time emotionally and also health wise. Need to be philosophical about what is going on. All the best, Ramana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back!
    Well, on a day like today the most obvious thing for me is to wish you happy and enriching Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Lech, I am sending back my wishes for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a test to publish as an anonymous. No problems s far.

    ReplyDelete