Thursday 9 January 2014

Elegance and tennis

 

The idea of 2014 being a Year of Elegance is not mine but it resonated with me from the first moment I heard of it and I embraced it with enthusiasm. It may become my obsession for some time. I hope friends will let me know if I take it too far.
In January it is time for tennis in Australia. I do not play the game (yet) but I am an enthusiastic tennis fan and I watch many tennis matches. Talking to a friend I expressed my opinion on who I particularly like to watch and who I watch with less pleasure even if they are good tennis players with remarkable successes behind them. On reflection, I realised that for me it comes down to elegance of their play, behaviour and presentation.
My particular favourites are Roger Federer,  Novak Djokovic, Jo Tsonga and Agnieszka Radwanska. 

Agnieszka Radwanska

I do not like Andy Murray, Victoria Azarenka or Serena Williams.
In my opinion, my favourites play with more finesse than others, their movements are not only effective but also graceful.  Their tactics are sophisticated and intelligent. They dress with good taste and with simplicity. Most of the time at least. The last year, I got a bit puzzled when I saw shocking pink shoelaces appearing in the Melbourne courts tunnel. I expected Federer to appear but could not imagine that he could the owner of those shoelaces. However, he was to my surprise. I did not take it against him for some reason.

                           

I will watch the Australian open this year again and I will try not to be blinded by my increased focus on elegance of tennis players. I will admire and cheer any good player regardless of their outfits, graceful movements, refinement and sophistication. Even if they grunt, squeak or scream. But Radwanska will be my favourite. Of course. And Federer.

4 comments:

  1. In my childhood tennis was a synonym for elegance - the game of kings. The last statement fitted well the most successful Polish tennis player, Jadwiga Jedrzejowska, who was a tennis partner of Swedish king Gustav V. I experienced this elegance on tennis courts in Sopot in mid-fifties last century when all players were dressed in white, most of ladies in not so short skirts, some men still in long trousers. During breaks hot tea was served to the players. Memories, memories :)
    Elegance in modern sport? All sports became very physical and there are big business. I suppose many sports people are concerned about their image as this is sale-able factor and probably they are receiving professional advice in this matter. There is another point however - elegance of movements - which, in my opinion, is nothing else, but the natural instinct. Some people still have it, in sport, in dance, in daily chores.
    I wish you lots of enjoyment during coming Australian Open.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were the times! You seem to know a lot about Polish history. My mother was telling me about Jedrzejowska but never as a tennis partner to a Royal. Wiwat Polska!
    I agree that elegance of movement is in most cases something one is born with and it is nice to watch such people as it is nice to watch beauty and art.
    Taking of elegance in movement in daily chores I still remember the French waiter cutting a baguette with such grace and speed that I set mesmerised watching the show of such a mundane activity. Lucky those who have it. Radwanska does!

    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed playing tennis for a couple of years on a hard court when I was in my late thirties. When my hip problem started to manifest, the sports medicine experts were the ones who could diagnose the problem and they suggested that the damage was done during my school days when I was a field event athlete and got further aggravated during my tennis days. I could not play again ever but have followed the game and am amazed at the kind of agility shown by modern players.

    ReplyDelete