Thursday 30 January 2014

Mental juicy steak and cold beer

Disclaimer and a warning : To my surprise, this turned out to be one of most favourite of my posts. Strange. I feel that the title is not only stirring interest but may be misleading. Sorry to all of those who got here for culinary interest. This is not about it at all. I hope you read on though and find it fun and to reflection.

It was a long time ago when I saw Adorable Julia a film with Lilli Palmer and Charles Boyer based on Somerset Maugham’s story - Theater. I believe that there has been a remake of the film in more recent years. The story itself is not all that remarkable and the film was not good either but I was very young and impressionable. Lilli Palmer, in my eyes, seemed very sophisticated and I was in owe of her Julia. For some reason the last scene stuck in my mind, even if the message was perhaps difficult to comprehend for a girl not yet 20.  Julia, an actress, after an affair, with a young man age of her son, during a dinner takes a deep breath, smiles affectionately at her husband and takes a big sip of beer, then gets stuck  into a big juicy steak with gusto. Her diet, her regime, she had kept for a long time to impress her young lover and her adoring audience, were not necessary any more to her. She decided to eat her steak when she felt like it and enjoy beer without paying attention to the consequences. It was some type of a New Beginning.



The story does not match my situation but the reason why I recalled the restaurant scene was that recently I have been struggling with my daily tasks often not being completed. My ambitious goals have been more and more difficult to reach. This is how it has been most of my life. Aiming to achieve and consequently a go-go person who did not have time for friends or fun. I have achieved many goals in my life and I felt good about myself for some short moments as the result. My working days were always full of activities but I felt each day that I achieved too little. I want to feel like Julia, relaxed, doing things I enjoy doing, reading books I enjoy reading, going to see a movie when I want to do it or meet with friends even if my long planned website is not built to my satisfaction yet. And all of that without feeling guilty. I still want to contribute through coaching and writing but not to strict, self imposed deadlines. I still want to keep my daily routine but if I skip one day or two I want to feel that it does not matter and be happy and relaxed anyhow. Will I manage? I will give it a go. I want to have my guilt free mental stake and beer. At least from time to time.

This turned out to be one of most favourite of my posts. Strange. I feel that the title is not only stirring interest but also misleading. Sorry to all of those who got here for culinary interest. This is not about it at all. 

2 comments:

  1. Feel guilty but do it any way! Just learn to enjoy feeling guilty. That is how I manage to do exactly what you hope to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To enjoy feeling guilty... This is a thought. I may just give it a go!

    ReplyDelete