Thursday 6 February 2014

12 Years a Slave



Few days ago I read in a friendly blog views on the film which seems to be screened across the world right now. I know of India, Poland and Australia showing the film in February. It has good reviews, 10 Oscar nominations and reputation of showing  extreme cruelty. The post, I mentioned, has many comments. Most of them, if not all, say NO, I DO NOT INTEND TO SEE IT. The reason is cruelty scenes in the film and unwillingness to subject oneself to unnecessary stress, horror and depression. I do agree with all the comments and my sentiments are very similar. It made me think, though. Sometimes we have to know unpleasant things to understand the world. There are times the knowledge can protect us or we may even be able to prevent suffering of others. I know that  is seems far-fetched to think that me having knowledge about slavery can save others from suffering.

Tomorrow is my movie day and I wonder if my friend and I will choose to see 12 Years a Slave. Romain Rolland French winner of Nobel Prize for Literature, idealist and a lover of truth said -  There is only one heroism in the world: to see the world as it is, and to love it.


I wonder if I am heroic enough to even see the film, not to mention loving all people after seeing that much human cruelty as I read the film contains. 

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I did. And I am glad even if it was difficult to watch sometimes. I find it important and still current in a way.

      Delete