Thursday 13 February 2014

12 Years a Slave - story not only about past

I did go to see the film and I am glad. The film has indeed many cruel scenes, but not more than say Django Unchained or other films by Tarantino or many others. Steve McQueen is the director. I did not know him, but I think I may catch up on his other films and see Hunger and Shame at some stage. He impressed me.

Reflecting on violence in films, I question if it is necessary or could intended messages be passed without showing violence explicitly? I do not think that there is one black and white answer to it. Pun not intended.

Was there too much violence in 12 Years a Slave? I do not think so, even if I looked away several times to avoid seeing particularly painful scenes. Painful to watch, yes. There were moments that made me shudder but without the visual message the pain of the story would not be that powerfully shown. The film is not supposed to only move us emotionally; it is meant to make us feel the pain of what it means to be considered a lesser being. I think that the film is important and current as there are people who feel better and even superior to others. 

Thinking about Polish issues, there are lots of condescending words and behaviours directed at people who are “different”: non Catholics, homosexuals, other nationalities, non patriots (whatever that means) and many others just different to “typical” good Poles.

Some others think that riding a motor bike is very suspicious, dangerous to society and should be punished.

There is a scene in the film when Salomon, the hero, is looking through the window of his place of torture and sees the White House.

This story is not only about the past.

The film is also very beautifully filmed by its cinematographer Sean Bobbitt; the pictures of the southern nature are like paintings, some abstract, some impressionistic. They were the moments to take a breath and focus for short moments on beauty, not just human cruelty.

 I got rather serious, too serious perhaps, but such are my reflections after seeing the film.


Another film I saw lately was August: Osage County. Again, a difficult film, this time about the cruelty of a strong woman, brilliantly played by Meryl Streep. Julia Roberts plays another strong woman and she also displays streaks of cruelty. I am not going write about my observations on the subject of strong women, cruelty and reasons. Not this time anyhow.

2 comments:

  1. Now you have got me intrigued and I will try and see August: Osage County. The reviews too are very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would interesting to know your impressions. Maybe I'll find in in one of your next posts. I have also seen The Wolf of Wall Street the last week. No uplifting films lately.

    ReplyDelete