Thursday 4 July 2013

Sorry, Ray from Mummulgum


Some time ago I wrote about how my old IBM colleague explained to me that patriotism may lead to nationalism and we all know where it can end. Life convinced me that Ray was very right and I rarely display signs of nationalism. One of the reasons is that, as I said to my friend recently, I am confused about me feeling or not feeling European. There is so much of an Aussie in me, you see.
With all of that I see with even more confusion that I am rather nationalistic as far as tennis is concerned. Most of the non-Polish people do not know much about Polish tennis. Frankly there has not been all that much to know. But then it came Radwanska, today world number 3 tennis player.  She has not won yet any of the two most important, in my opinion, competitions– Australian Open or the Wimbledon. I hope there are some chances this year to change the score. She won yesterday over Li Na in a quarter final, nice revenge after the reversed situation in the Australian Open 2013. While I like Li Na and in any other situation I would cheer for her, yesterday was a different story.
My Polish nationalistic pride is getting stronger with each Wimbledon day. Will this last another day or more? I wish!  Today two Polish players – Kubot and Janowicz played against each other in the quarter final.   Beautiful tennis, by the way, I am sorry that my friends in Sydney will most likely not watch the match. The tennis commentators said many times today that there were many Great Slam matches when two Australians played against each other. So for my Aussie compatriots such situation is nothing special but when I put my Polish hat on I am proud that it has happened eventually to Poland as well.

Since yesterday, my cooking has improved as I have a small TV set in the kitchen and while I watch tennis I cook more elaborately than normally. Tonight it was a nice vegetarian dish and a  mandatory glass of red wine to cheer Janowicz victory.
Hurray for two Poles in the Wimbledon semi-final!

1 comment: