Thursday 13 March 2014

Pick-up truck and compressor


It is difficult to think that a new pick-up truck and a compressor could be all a person considers the only desirable things in life. Woody Grant, the hero of Nebraska, does.


Ramana , in his post on Nebraska, wrote about the film in such positives that I decided to see it  even if it did not look like my type of thig. And I did not regret it. Actually, I was very much moved by the film, by its warmth, humour and the way Alexander Payne shows us life in Nebraska.

Woody seems to be a little confused by life and due to his age one thinks – Alzheimer? But no, as Woody’s son says – he only believes in what people say. That makes him look as if he was not all there. He believes that he will win million dollars if he shows up in Lincoln, Nebraska by closest Monday to claim the prise promised to him in an advertising campaign. He needs to travel some thousands of miles from his place to get to Lincoln, so he energetically starts walking. As the walking idea does not work out his son decides to drive him there. Good, soft hearted son and stubborn old man. The whole film is about their journey from Montana to Nebraska and reminiscing. The old man’s reason for the journey is to get his one million dollars price and David’s to bond with his father, taking maybe the last trip together. Woody, asked by his son what he is going to do when he gets his million dollars, after some hesitation answers: I will buy a new pick-up track. Prompted by his son what else, declares that he will buy a compressor. Not that he needs it but his old compressor was stolen years ago by his neighbour from Nebraska. He just wants to have a compressor again. I guess, he needs to regain an equilibrium in his possessions. Is it a sign that with age we stop to dream and desire? Maybe for some of us but I would not generalise it. Going for one’s dream, however humble, with Woody’s determination is enviable in my mind. And his dream comes true, strangely enough.

My favourite scene of the film is Woody’s triumphant drive down the main street of the place where he used to live years ago. He is driving his new truck, with a brand new compressor in the back. Woody is sporting a cap with the word WINNER and that tells us how he feels. This honorary round restores his dignity and self-value. And all of this experiences given to Woody by his son. Indecisive man and seemingly less successful than his brother.

I have been introduced by my friends to - Breaking Bad. Brilliant, captivating attention serial, I would recommend. Bob Odenkirk, in Nebraska the more successful but less likeable brother, plays convincingly a corrupted lawyer in Breaking Bad. 

2 comments:

  1. I am glad that you saw it and endorse my take on the film. I have seen another one Her about which I will write tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is another film I would like to see but this is not in the cinemas in Sydney any more. I will need to get a DVD. Today I am going to see The Great Beauty.

    ReplyDelete