Thursday 23 October 2014

About my grandfather



I have enjoyed going back in my thoughts to my childhood. I started to remember more and more. When I stop and travel in time, I remember smells, colours, temperature of the air. This is a really nice feeling. Typically for most of us some childhood events turned into psychological hang-ups and complexes. Thinking back helps me to understand myself better and some of the memories are really nice to think about. I particularly like to think about my grandfather. I was once asked when did I first feel loved. My grandpa came to mind immediately. He was a very special man. At least I think so. I need to find out from the only surviving person, who may know about it, what actually was the war he fought in and was declared a hero. For now I believe that it must have been Polish Soviet war of 1919-1921. My grandfather came out of the war in one piece but with very impaired hearing. He met my grandmother at a ball organised by one of the most known and prominent Lithuanian- Polish families Radziwill. My grandmother ran the school for children of people working for the Radziwill family.  She was at the Radziwill ball where my grandfather noticed her as a very attractive young woman. He tried to dance with her but she hesitated to accept him as a dance partner because of his problems with hearing. Not very noble of her. The countess Radziwill noticed the situation and called my grandma to tell the silly girl that she had refused to dance with a war hero who had been fighting for Poland  and had lost his hearing protecting the country and that everybody owes him respect and admiration. It must have been a convincing speech and a memorable dance that followed the rebuke as they married soon after the ball. 


The war pictures of the times do not shake of scare us much. Have we gone too far in sophistication and science of wars?
                                
I am not sure if my grandma always treated her hero with due respect as she was a bossy person and this is how I remember her. She bossed my grandpa around and he never protested or argued with her. This does not mean he was a push over. Not at all. He did what he wanted to do, maybe covertly, maybe in secret but he usually had his way.

My grandparents did not have natural children, my mother was their adopted daughter and they loved her dearly. The affection was then transferred to me and I felt very much loved by my grandfather. He was a kind man, a softy, while my grandma was very energetic, no-nonsense person who ruled the family.

As a child I did not like to eat. I am sorry it belongs to the past now.  My grandmother challenge was to make me put on a couple of kilos during my stay in Sadowne, to show that she takes care of me well. I remember times when I was given  a bowl of cottage cheese with chives and liberal amount of sour cream. All organic! The instruction was : You will not leave the table until you finish.   Boy, it was a torture. The cottage cheese was growing in my mouth rather than moving in the direction of the stomach. And I wanted to go to play! My kind grandfather in such situations circulated between the room he worked in and the backyard, passing the table where the little girl was having a fight with the cottage cheese. He stopped at the table for a moment, stole a little of the offensive cottage cheese from the bowl to help me out. I thought he was an angel of mercy. Together we managed to present and empty bowl as a passport to the yard, fields and play.

One had to love such a grandpa and feel loved. 

3 comments:

  1. The world has changed now! Such grandparents will be ticked off by parents for over feeding and/or abetting in crimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not ignoring your comment about my other blog but have not figured out yet how to do it. WIP situation

      Delete
  2. Quite right and I think it is a shame. My corrupting granddad is my best childhood memory. So is my bossy, energetic grandma. My parents were like current parents, concentrating on their business. It was for making my and my brother's future better than theirs but I did not spend much quality time with them as the result. Still, they were great parents and they taught me by example some life truths.

    ReplyDelete