Wednesday 15 April 2015

Woollahra Revisited

The other day, I spent a very nice afternoon in Woollahra, one of the most elegant Sydney Eastern Suburbs. Woollahra has been going through some years of decline and now has regained its attractiveness even if it has changed its character considerably.

Some years ago I used to spend some weekend time there, looking at antique shops that Queen Street was famous of. Martyn Cook Antiques were an object of admiration and envy of other antique dealers. Sometimes, I used to go to the same auctions as famous Martyn Cook. I still remember one very special auction held in Ramada Hotel. It had some very attractive pieces that I was very interested in. One of them was a clock set in a Blanc de Chine case. It was very unusual and very beautiful. Maybe not everybody’s cup of tea, but it was mine. Unfortunately it was also Martyn’s Cook. Would I have won a bid if I tried? I do not know, but the problem was that I even did not try. Somebody like me was not to compete with such an antique authority as holly Martyn. I still remember the clock even it was such a long time ago.

I sidetracked a bit and I only wanted to say that there is no Martyn Cook Antiques on Queen Street. In fact, there is only one antiques shop left there. The numerous others moved on to different suburbs or oblivion.

This time I found a different Queen Street. Looks that it is still in transition from the old antiques dominated street to another look and profile. Will it be a street for those interested in gourmet cooking? Maybe? There are  two very interesting new shops. One is a Polish delicatessen combined with a coffee place selling and serving Polish specialties. This is Wieczorkowski showing Sydneysiders and of course selling European decadence. We had lunch there and it was fantastic. Being born Polish, we had to order the country speciality – polish dumplings. For some time now I have been disappointed with the dish and I ate it for patriotic and nostalgic reasons only. However, at Wieczorkowski we were served, a dish that I really liked. If any of my readers find his way to Queen Street at Woollhara, I would warmly recommend a visit at Wieczorkowski Caffee.

                                Image result for wieczorkowski cafe

Another nice surprise was Victor Churchill, the butcher. His shop drew my attention with its window decoration that did not look like a butcher shop at all.  Australia is preparing for the 100 anniversary of the battle of Gallipoli, day of remembrance for all soldiers who fought and died for their country. To join in the spirit of the special occasion the window of the shop looked like that:



The door of the shop is adorned with brass sausages. 


Display of various meats 



Display of the meat cuts one can buy in the shop is most impressive.  Fabulous recipes come to mind when one looks at what is available and taste of the most beautiful dishes created out of this magnificent meats. 

The friendly butcher who was happy to show us the shop and answer our questions said that even if all those special cuts are available the mostly bought meat was eye fillet. Not very adventurous really.  





2 comments:

  1. Other than drive to and from multiplexes, I have stopped just walking around and you now inspire me to start this activity, Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I can be inspirational even in a small way, I am happy. Walking is my main form of exercise those days and I try to make interesting if I can.

    I am glad that you liked the post.

    ReplyDelete