Sunday 7 February 2016

My Bridge Adventure


This is not going to be about Sydney Harbour Bridge or any other construction but about the card gameQuite coincidentally, a couple of years ago, I joined the local bridge club – Trumps. It was on recommendation of my neighbour who used the membership of the club to get cheaper travel insurance. Since I was about to travel I thought – why not… and I joined the club not intending to play. The insurance deal worked well.

As it sometimes happens, a coincidence may lead to something important. This is how it was this time. I used to play bridge when I was a student and then life happened. Marriage, changing countries, intensive work, setting a home, then setting another home… There was no time for bridge and nobody around me was interested in card games. I always loved cards so I played patience from time to time. And now I was a member of a bridge club and even got regular information on club activities. One day I thought, why not pay a visit to the club and find out what is going on there. I have been paying for being a member, after all.

I started to play as a beginner and realized that I do not know much about the game. It is not a rubber game that I knew years ago but something called duplicate bridge. The rules of play and behaviour are very different to the ones I remembered. But most of all bidding is done in a totally different way to the one I once practiced. It started as a confusing fun. For a year, I played once or twice a week not having a regular partner. My game was not to bad, I still remembered few things and using logic helped as well. For bidding I used my own convention called common sense and this of course is not type of bridge one plays in clubs. I did not know the language of bidding and I still know very little of it, but I am on my way to learn.

We stayed in Waldorf Leura Gardens. Nice old fashioned place.
                                     
Few weeks ago I came across information about a bridge holiday in Blue Mountains and again I thought - why not… I asked the club director if my current bridge level will be sufficient and if a lack of a partner would make me unsuitable and I got re-assurance that I will be fine and welcome. He is a very kind man. When I started to assess my move I got cold feet but my shy tries to get out of the deal met with reassurance that I will be fine. So, last week I went to Leura being very nervous. The nervousness was fully justified and in fact it was harder than I had expected. I managed, but the feeling of inadequacy was overwhelming and justified. The gap between me and the rest of the players was enormous. I guess it was OK in a spinach type of way. It did not taste decent but it was good for me. I was aware that at times I did not understand what I was told (in the bidding language) and that my answers were often surprising and confusing. I had my better moments when my brain was not cooked to destruction, but they were not that frequent.

On positive side, being exhausted I slept very well each night.

Have I learned a lot of bridge in the process? Not really, but I have learned a lot of bridge etiquette and made a good plan how to keep learning. I also met a lot of great people and found out things about Australians and their life style. I especially liked people from the country. Old fashioned, in the best way, type of people. Kind, down to earth, straight forward, with great sense of humour and, I would imagine, honest and trustworthy.

Image result for duplicate bridge
This is how I spent four days. Hmm...
                                     

But the most positive outcome is being invited as a bridge partner. My club is divided into two rooms. One for beginners as myself and one for bridge grown ups. I have been playing in the kindergarten but now, to my delight,  once a week I will be paying with a very charming lady and a good bridge player as an intermediate. I am thrilled and very proud.


I have jumped into deep water but I have not sunk. This is some kind of achievement even if my ego was seriously bruised.

4 comments:

  1. It looks our initial experiences are similar. In time of our young years in Poland bridge was a very popular past-time activity and it had a bit of a noble status.
    I learned to play bridge at the age of 12 and for next 5 years played it so frequently, that I lost interest in it. Of course I played in "natural" way. I continue to play but not frequently.
    Once I played in a bridge club in Australia. My partner was a Polish lady of my age, we never played before, we were both "natural" players. I did not like the atmosphere of the club. People were extremely competitive and formalistic. They raised loud formal protests on a couple of cases me not following the club etiquette. They all used some elaborate conventions and I got impression, that their main problem was, that they had known too many of them and were never sure which one applied for a current game. Of course I did not understand anything of their bidding, which made the game even less attractive to me.
    Funny thing was, that me and my partner won the second place in the competition. It was for me an argument, that unless you have hundred hours of practice in various conventions, the natural game is more effective. The trouble is, that now it is extremely difficult to find a bridge player with "unspoiled" mind.
    Nevertheless I am glad, that you enjoy the game and the club and I wish you lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks that my bridge brain is getting spoiled, but I agree that there is always place for common sense and exceptions to the rules. So far I find it fun to learn some of the conventions, but I am still a bridge baby. I play mainly in the room for beginners and get support when I do not feel confident. I must say that this happens rather often.

    I am looking forward to rather informal canasta with my Polish friends when I go again to Poland. This is a different story to a club bridge, still cards though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents and a couple of uncle/aunt combinations were avid Bridge players and so naturally I grew up picking up the game from them and also playing it. It is a wonderful game and I am glad that you have found it. You will not regret getting addicted to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also glad that I found it. I had only one game with my new, experienced partner and it was really a great experience. We even placed seventh out of twelve. I am looking forward to the next games.

      Delete