Sunday 15 May 2016

A sincere bitch?

This is another self-indulgent and self-analytical post. Is there going to be anything in this little feuilleton of general interest? I hope so, but can not guarantee it. I will attempt to make it a bit humorous in spite the mood I am in at the moment.


Will this space turn into a kitchen?

I am emerging from a kitchen depression. I was going to have a new dream kitchen but very quickly the process turned into a nightmare. I am just coming to terms with the situation which in fact has improved considerably. It is work in progress and this means my home is disorganized, still dirty even if I clean things every day. Many little and not so little steps are ahead of me and the kitchen. This is the third kitchen I have been installing in the last ten years. One would think that I have the needed experience and should have known what to expect. At least I thought so. I was wrong. This one is going to be the most expensive of the three and the lowest quality of them. Is this the difference between Australia and Europe? Or was it my mistake in making the choice of the company? One of the kitchens was installed in Sydney but it was Ikea, European design and furniture.  Hmm…


Work in progress, future kitchen still in the boxes
Last weekend I left the battle ground of my disappointing kitchen to spend time in a great company of my former work colleagues and now friends to see the Sydney Biennale at Cockatoo Island. Traditionally, I left my camera at home so I do not have any pictures from the event. Need to change this habit of forgetting things.

The three of us had a great friendly time and during the lunch we started to reminisce the old times. Or rather my two friends talked about the times when we all worked for a big bank on critical projects. I mainly listened. Our responsibility was then heavy, mine perhaps most heavy of us three. One of the friends was always saying that her work objective was not to hit the Australian news. She was responsible for production support of critical banking systems. It may seem over-dramatic, but I do not think now that it actually was. Old legacy systems responsible for all accounts of the bank could go belly up one of the nights and the banks could not open the next day.  This would be sensational news in Australia and very bad news for us. I was responsible for it all. Big responsibility and big stress with which we lived every day. During our friendly lunch when the old stories were being recalled the old me was emerging and I suddenly saw myself in a new light. It was not a pretty picture. Command and control manager (me, oh, oh) not tolerating excuses, sloppy work or public service type of approach to work. On top of that I was a successor of person who was nice, friendly and had understanding of imperfect human nature. During the lunch I found out that people who wanted to talk to me always checked “the weather”. Meaning my mood. Talking to me must have been unpleasant and difficult. When I try to look at myself from the perspective of my team, the picture is not that pretty. Demanding, often stressed, busy. One could say – a bitch. To cheer myself up I recalled that at the same time some people considered me sincere. A sincere bitch, then. 



 Image result for command and control

 Does not sound any better, hmm… Seeing myself in this new light, I had very mixed feelings. I liked part of the old, younger me, even admired some parts, I had courage, skills and perseverance, but I felt sorry for the person who put her personal life on hold and then lost the most important relationship of her life, regretted the health consequences of prolonged stress, felt sorry that for a long time there was no time for friendships or fun other than work. Then, work was my fun. This may seem questionable, but then such was my way to live. The way I have changed now and if I had a possibility to turn the time back, I would live my life differently. Would that be much better? How could I know?

6 comments:

  1. Our kitchen work got completed two days ago and only one compartmentalising racks for a drawer needs to be installed. Phew! I went through the same thing you did and can understand.

    I was told after leaving many posts on transfers/promotions during my working life that people used to check the 'weather' from my secretary before approaching me. If that was so, so be it was my response.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulation of the completion of the kitchen! With some luck mine may be ready this week, or almost ready. Next is the bathroom.

    I am not too disturbed by the weather check ups either, but I was a bit surprised especially that I have changed a bit and forgot a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite my admiration for your supervisory computer skills on what must have been an enormous undertaking (and I've been there, done that) I think you might get some grief for "sloppy work or public service type of approach to work."

    There's a world of difference between producing a bug-free implementation with specific targets/outcomes on a tight timescale, and that involved in many public service equivalent applications where "the rules" keep changing under your feet according to the political winds.

    Frankly it amazes me that committed professionals would stomach the top-down ever-changing requirements imposed ad hoc upon most public service projects. I could not work in that environment, but I do admire those who do, and who somehow manage to produce reasonable computerised outcomes.

    kvd

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have I touched the public servant nerve? Did not mean to offend anyone and maybe did not appreciate difficulties experienced due to political wind changes. However, I did not put an equal sing between sloppy work and public servants. Public servants attitude equates in my mind with certain disregard to targets and let's not kill ourselves working too hard attitude. I still may be harsh in my opinions. I know there are exceptions. I know some idealistic public servants who care, but even they can not produce what they are capable of due to their unfortunate placement in the workforce. The politics in private sector is of different nature, but not easy either. Any new broom sweeps ruthlessly.

    Amazing that you should have IT experience. Or have I read it wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, you've read that right. Although your banking adventures would probably have consumed, in the first five minutes of operation, my responsibilities as one half of a 2 man team providing IT to several $20M plus law firms - all of whom had in-house capability to sue :)

    You did not 'touch a nerve' in that the only IT project I performed for the public service was to reconfigure the 1200 page, hand-annotated, maintenance schedule for some Navy helos - but that project alone (tighten this nut to xmm tolerance, then check with tool Y) gave me pause to consider just how reliant we are upon the goodwill of the people on the "shop floor". And as for your:

    Public servants attitude equates in my mind with certain disregard to targets and let's not kill ourselves working too hard attitude.

    - I would suggest stop digging :)

    kvd

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, I have stopped digging and now the post has been read again or so my statistics show. I came back to re-read it. I always surprise myself when I read what I once wrote.It is like reading some stranger. I sometimes get impression of the writer being insightful. It just comes down to liking my own writing perhaps.

    This is a comment for myself I do not expect you, kvd, to read it. It just surprised me how much time have passed since you started to comment my posts. It is almost like a sometimes reluctant friendship. Strange how we sneak into other people lives.

    It got late at night. Today I had my fourteenth chemo so it is difficult to fall asleep. Four more sessions to go and the resolving the issue of how to live after the treatments finish. The answer is - the best I can. Only I still do not know what it means exactly.

    Reading my old posts I realised that my thinking got deeper but the humour evaporated somewhere. This is not good.

    I am writing it a little bit like a message in a bottle to be sent to an ocean. Now I really hope that you not not have a notification system in place. If you do, please do not let me know it.

    ReplyDelete