Monday 9 May 2016

Why Japanese films are boring?

Actually, in my opinion they are not boring, but in many of the Japanese films action is slow. This may seem boring in the current fast world. I have not seen many Japanese films recently to make firm pronouncements on their nature, but I have an intention to find opportunities to see more of Japanese films in the future. Yesterday I saw An, film directed by a woman, Naomi Kawase and I was spell bound watching it. Yes, it was slow, the story was simple, beauty of actors was subdued and without a glossy makeup, there were many prolonged takes of nature. Could the film be considered boring? The cinema on Saturday afternoon was full and nobody left the theatre till the very end of the credits. Obviously the film was not boring to those who decided to see it.


                                            Image result for sweet red bean paste film 

The story is about people who are not really successful in their lives. A pastry maker struggling with paying his debts and making a living by producing dorayaki, sweets he does not like and never eats, a school girl whose only friend is a canary and she can not even keep in it a rented unit and a 76 year old woman still isolated from the wider society after old illness and she lives in leprosarium. Also the story is about making  an – a sweet read bean paste which is a part of doryiaki – two small pancakes with the red beans paste between them.

 

I would say that the story is also about love, acceptance, appreciation of nature and  carpe diem. It makes us see what is really important in life. Maybe I was never too far from having similar values as the film presents, but it was a strong reminder to live by the values not only admire them from afar.

 

The most happy and adjusted is Tokue, old woman who suffered from leprosy in her youth and then had to remain outside the normal life stream longing for contact with young people. She is kind and loving towards people, animals, nature and the red beans she lovingly transforms into a very special paste. The actress Kirin Kiki is fantastic in her role. I would very much like to see her in other films. She accepted her situation even if many would consider themselves hard done by fate ha others would consider, very hard life. And she makes others see beauty of what is around them, bringing joy and appreciation of their life. The pastry maker and the school girl are transformed under influence of Tokue. They become happy. They start to smile. The film made me see again and very clearly what makes a life a good one and that happiness is in small things always surrounding us.

 

The film represents a very stoic approach to life, I would say. But it may be so that I see, these days, all things through my aspiring stoic glasses.

 

It is a very much a feel good film and maybe even sentimental, but this has its value to me who is currently going through an upheaval of installation of a new kitchen.  Any feel good messages are much needed and appreciated.

 

I have been wondering on complexity and inconsistencies of human nature. I have a picture of cruelty of Japanese people, coded somewhere in my subconscious, and here we go, the film which shows completely different side of Japanese nature. Both of the sides must exist, but how do they coexist?

 

When the film finished I felt calm and quiet as if I had meditated for 113 min. 

 

I would strongly recommend the film for those who can cope with movies that are far, far from action films. My rating is 9 out of 10.

 


9 comments:

  1. I have never seen a Japanese film and it is doubtful that I will ever see one any time in the future. Except for special screening for societies, they are not screened in India.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why Japanese films are not screen in India. While I think Japanese films may be an acquired taste, there is a lot of universal values in them. I think you may like this particular film

      Delete
  3. I find most Japanese films dull because:
    1. camera angles. Sometimes they don't even change it for a whole (pretty long) scene. No close-ups on the actors' faces during emotional scene, etcetc :(

    2. unnecessary and sometimes inappropriate BGM (usually in romance movies)

    3. too much like manga/anime (expression, reaction etc). Just because it works in manga/anime, doesn't mean it's gonna work in movies with real life people.

    Too bad cause most of them had potential... Also, the cultural difference between Japan and the rest of the world is huge imo..that's why K-dramas are more popular (K stuff also cater to international fans).

    Of course, some of the best films are made in Japan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an unexpected comment and very much appreciated.

      We seem to be of different generations. I am guessing, but the language you used seems to belong to very current times and I had to look up few abbreviations you used. I was actually glad of that. I am also glad that you found my post interesting enough to comment. Especially that you seem to have professional approach to the subject of films and film making. I need to find out more about K-dramas. I know now what it is but not much more than that.

      Both of us are provocative in what we write even if on my side provocative is only the post title. I agree that some of the best films are made in Japan. Have you seen Seven Samurai? It is a very old film but a cinema classic. I might try to find it somewhere to see it again. Before I’ll do that I will most likely see the current version of The Magnificent Seven. The subject seem to have universal interest.

      Delete
  4. So much silence. Just saw "su-ki-da" and before that I also saw "petaru dansu" and both were so silent and slow and grey. I love calm movies and silence can be impactful but I didn't get the hype with those two films. I've seen other Japanese films too and they're the same but I can't name them all now. Like another commenter said, k-dramas/movies are the exact opposite. It's so weird and I hope someday to be able to appreciate the slowness of Japanese films but unfortunately, other than the beautiful scenery and sometimes artsy shots, the cinematography is just as underwhelming. We're so so so far away from the characters in both lack of dialogue and slowwwww cinematography. The only movie I've appreciated the slowness and distance in was "Ima Boku Wa" because I felt it fit and it all just added to the realism. I love art films but, and I hope this makes sense, the cinematography from what I've seen is more reminiscent to like, say a television show rather than an art film. Thanks for the insightful article, I was wondering if anyone felt the same way. You'll be getting a few comments over the years now since this article was the second result when I googled "japanese movies slow boring".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow i'm an idiot lol i take back everything in reference to the cinematography! just found a super HD version of su-ki-da and i'm in love! sorry haha.

      Delete
    2. Hi Anonymous,
      I am so sorry for not replying earlier. I wanted to see the films you mentioned, but my life became hectic and a bit unpleasant so I postponed it. I always had your comment back in my mind and always intended to answer. Now I came back to it and can not find the films any more. I found the trailer of su-ki-da and I loved it. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

      Delete
  5. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commentators here! หนังโป๊ญี่ปุ่น

    ReplyDelete