Tuesday 23 August 2016

I am still reading the Neapolitan story

                                                            Image result for the story of the lost child

For a few weeks now, my reading has been going along one track of the Neapolitan story. It is a bit out of character as I typically read more than one book at a time. This time, I do not meander reading this and that, it is all about Lenu, Lina and Italian politics in the sixties, seventies and moving into eighties. Emotionally it is not an easy read. I read it fast, often at night even if that negatively affects my sleep. The poison of the dark story saturates me slowly, but there is no way I wound not finish the books. In fact, I think I will be going through withdrawal symptoms when I finish. I am reading the last book The Story of the Lost Child. The young women are just over thirty years old, their personal lives are complicated. Since the story continues over many years, there is no concept of “and they lived happily ever after”. There are happy life events and then there are disappointments, betrayals, new loves and new problems and new happy events. Just like life typically is. I find many points that remind my life, trigger off memories I have not thought about for many years.

It is easy for me to associate with parts of the story, especially that Italian and Polish temperaments have common points. Both explosive at times, emotional, exaggerating negatives, warm and friendly when things are going well but ready to fight and quarrel when things are not going according to their wishes. Being a part of a Swedish family I have tempered expression of my emotions and passing of time also had a calming influence on me. Reading the book, though, I find hot-tempered reactions rather natural and that makes me aware that I have traveled a long way since my childhood similarly to Lenu and Lina.

I like the way Ferrante writes about political upheavals in Italy. I was always aware of the country having strong communistic movements, similarly to France. My knowledge was never deep and it was based on what I read in the press of the times. Reading the book I can recall the names and situations that were shaking Italy over the years. Almost all characters in the book have strong political views and many of them are deeply involved. Some are Camorrists, some are fascists and some are communists. The book tells stories of families and those stories are like an undercurrent of the political situations. The reader is left to draw own conclusions of what is actually happening in the country. Some Camorra bosses give “jobs” to friends and their children. These are rather mysterious jobs that take people away from the country and sometimes force them to disappear from the neighbourhood. Reading the books the reader gets to know the characters from their early years as boys and girls perhaps naughty, perhaps unruly but innocent at the start. Some of them grow into violent people, hurting and even killing others but I have difficulties to condemn them the way I would reading of such stories in media. This I consider strength of the book, it tells the story and through the story gives reasons for why things happen that way or another. Significant events emerge from apparently trivial stories in an unobtrusive way. 

2 comments:

  1. Reading does indeed tell us why things happen/ed the way they do/did. You must try and read http://rummuser.com/?p=15061 which helped me understand many things about Russia. Incidentally, Poland features in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read your post even earlier than your recommendation came through. It seems an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete