Wednesday 3 August 2016

Love Child Finale


Image result for eclectic taste


My taste in films and literature is eclectic. Isn’t it a lovely word “eclectic” to use when succumbing to not very refine pleasures? It brings intellectual legitimacy even to watching Neighbours. Which I do.

So, yesterday I watched the last part of the Love Child. I am not sure if it is the last part for this year or the last part altogether. The reflections that came to my mind watching the last scenes are based on the assumption that this was the real final. Dr. Joan Millar walks away from the man who she loved and maybe even loves still, but he had betrayed her. Her values do not allow getting over the situation and keeping loving him unconditionally. She is even miraculously pregnant with him after she had given up on becoming a mother due to some health problems. So, she could be happy with him, his little son and with to be born child of their own. But, no! She has values and she intends to honour them. I write about it ironically, but in fact, I respect her values and I also have lived by rather strict rules based on high expectations of others and myself. While there are times I feel good about myself having high ethical standards, looking at Joan walking away from a loving man towards loneliness I wonder if she is really doing a clever thing. I also question some of my earlier choices and categorical statements I had made. I recall one situation which I have been pondering on from time to time. It was a spirited discussion with one of my friends. I was not aware of the rules in her marriage and her husband’s philandering habits. I am not sure how the subject of faithfulness came about, but I remember expressing my views categorically. I was saying that the moment I found out about the infidelity of my husband, I would be walking out of the marriage. I can imagine how offensive that may have sounded to a person who had to forgive many times and turn a blind eye to her husband’s affairs. Had I known about her personal situation, I would not have said things I did, but I still would have the same beliefs. After this day, I was never again invited back to the couple who lived their life according to different rules than mine. Have I lost a friendship? Yes. Am I proud of myself and my high ethical standards? Not really. It may not have been even an issue of high standards…

                                   Image result for philandering husband


So now that I am confronted with the situation of Dr. Joan Millar, I feel sorry for her and I am not sure she made a right choice. Maybe everything will be fixed if the series continues the next year? And they will live happily ever after?   Who knows what is the right way, I do not anymore.

                                                 Image result for love child season 3

4 comments:

  1. I have just returned after seeing a movie on women with values - Bad Moms. If you get an opportunity, you must see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recommendation. The film will start to be screened here on the 11th, few more days to wait. I believe it is a comedy and I seem to be in a need of something lighter.

      Delete
  2. Browsing through notes on recently published books I found a quote touching issues discussed it this blog entry:
    “Never having been betrayed sets up poor preconditions for remaining faithful. Evolving into genuinely more loyal people requires us to suffer through some properly innoculative episodes, in which we feel for a time limitlessly panicked, violated and on the edge of collapse. Only then can the injunction not to betray our spouses evolve from a bland bromide into a permanently vivid moral imperative.”
    Author: Allain de Botton - The Course of Love - https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/apr/28/the-course-of-love-alain-de-botton-review
    I noticed that this book will be discussed on Sunday at 4 pm. on ABC TV Book club.
    Allain de Botton is an interesting author, I liked his books: How to think more about sex, Religion for atheists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always knew that you take your reading seriously and that you read a lot. You gave me several good recommendations on which I have not followed as yet, but hope I will. Now another interesting writer I have not heard of before. I will watch the Sunday book club, but wonder when I will find time to read all of the books I want to read. I am a slow reader with great desire to read it all. A good way to be permanently frustrated. I have just started Elena Ferrante tetralogy on recommendation of my other Polish friend. This will keep me preoccupied for some weeks. Maybe then Alain de Botton? He sounds very interesting.

      Delete