Monday 29 January 2018

The Post

I thought I shake off my Call Me by Your Name infatuation for a while and write about something else like The Post. I saw the film just recently and I am moderately impressed, but still would recommend the film and give it my 4 out of 5. But no Oscars from me for the film or anybody related to the film. Just a well-made film, the story that kept my attention even if I knew the facts the film is based on. I could have filed my impressions somewhere in the memory without giving it a second thought if it was not for the nostalgia for the times that were honest and values that were idealistic. The film reminds us of that and I am thankful for it. Maybe there is a hope for us as a human race to turn to those idealistic values again. Well, I know it is pathetic what I write, but they are my naked sentiments and longings. Be they as they may. Looks like Spielberg has similar sentiments so I am in a good company with my nostalgia for honesty and truth.

                                    Smoky, panelled dining rooms … Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep in The Post.

The film is about the Washington Post or rather Katharine Graham making the decision to expose the Pentagon Papers and telling the public that the US government was hiding for years the fact that the Vietnam war was unwinnable. Publishing such news was a personal threat to Katharine Graham and Ben Bradley the editor of the newspaper.  This meant many years in prison and the decision was to be made by a woman who most of her life was just a daughter of the powerful father and then the wife of the powerful husband. It was not a comfortable territory for her, but she made her very courageous decision risking a lot. In the end, it worked out very well for the family and for the newspaper. And for her in many ways, I can imagine.

I liked the moment of her making the decision. She was not sure, she was scared and she remembered what her duty as the owner of the newspaper was – to inform the public of the truth. She makes a very hesitant statement with panic sounding in her voice – let’s go, let’s publish. And the history was made.

I have been particularly interested in women like Katharine Graham or Madelaine Albright at some stage of my life. I have read their biographies trying to find guidance on how to live after a major life disappointment. It helped to take some blinkers off and build up courage, but it required ripping out a lot of my idealistic self (Aciman returns) to carry on. Hence my special respect for the women. And the person I was myself some time ago.

               Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania katheryn grahamZnalezione obrazy dla zapytania madeleine albright
                                                          My role models

Back to the film. I find the major value of the film in the reminder that it was possible (maybe still is?) to lead the media business in an honest (or at lease semi-honest) way. In the current times, money and power seem to be the only motivation in the world of the politics and the media. I am longing for some idealism and I am happy to realise that there are others who share my longing.

Looks that I am of the generation that looks back to the happy times of the 70ties and the 80ties and shakes the head at the current events as not measuring up to their happy days. My parents and grandparents did the same when my generation was coming on the scene. So, I know the changes are inevitable, but it still does not stop me from having nostalgic feelings and liking the film for waking them up. 

1 comment: