Sunday 4 February 2018

Phantom Thread


 The leaflet for Phantom Thread was laying on my table for some weeks to remind me to see the film when it comes to my local cinema. The leaflet comes with the descriptions: “One of the best pictures of the year”, “Seductive and absorbing”, “Daniel Day-Lewis, the best actor alive”.

I had my nomination for the best film of 2017 and this has not changed after seeing Phantom Thread. I am not sure about Daniel Day-Lewis as I have seen only few films of his and they perhaps were not the best examples of his acting. I have not seen some films acclaimed for his acting as they seemed particularly brutal and I decided to skip them in self-defence against depression. I agree however that the film is seductive even if there were moments I got out of the spell and felt a little bored. I have rather mixed feeling about the film. Maybe I did not get it. I definitely found it confusing. Surreal in several places.

                                           Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania phantom thread
On the surface, the film is about famous dressmaker of the 50t’s, his work and his creations. Underneath this beautiful and elegant cover, there is a messy and disruptive love between the controlling, famous dressmaker and a young, strong-willed young waitress. Alma, played by Vicky Krieps, in the first scenes says sweetly simple “Yes” to orders and propositions of the patron of the restaurant she works at. After becoming part of his life as a model, muse, and lover she wants the relationship to be based on her terms as well as his. Or maybe only her terms? There is a struggle between a domineering and totally unreasonable male, his equally domineering sister and the sweet downtrodden girl.  The girl, however, has guts and determination. The film tries to tell us that her love is the motivation for her very unorthodox methods to win the heart and obedience of her lover. I am not convinced here. OK, it is a metaphor, surrealistic one and I reluctantly accept it as such.  Though, I liked very much the scenes in the kitchen where she prepared her love potions. The dignity, calmness and the sense of purpose while cooking are like a slow dance. Loved it.

I am not sure how to explain the dressmaker submissive joy of receiving the tokens of the love of his, by then, wife. The best idea I came up with is that his pleasure is masochistic.

An odd film, but on reflection there is a sense of humour there even if warped, there is a lot of beauty, there is a struggle of sexes with the woman able to stop psychological abuse, there is a lot of nostalgic fashion at its best. On second thoughts the humour is really the strong side of the film.
                                                  Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania phantom thread
At the beginning of the film, Daniel Day-Lewis dresses and prepares his appearance for the day in the fashion house.  This is a great scene during which he puts on great socks. Long to the knees, with turn up and in great reddish-plum colour. I was so fascinated with the socks that I noticed in the following scenes that he always wears them. The man of style, of course. And a very bad temper.

My favourite of the film is Vicky Krieps an actress from Luxembourg. I hope to see more of her in the future.
                                                   Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania vicky krieps


4.5 out of 5 for this one. It grew on me. It was only 4 out of 5 yesterday.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I am glad that you did not have any problem to leave your comment this time.

      Delete