Saturday 4 August 2018

Celebrating Name Days


                                                        Image result for name days in poland

Most countries celebrate birthdays but there are some that celebrate name days. Looking up at the Wikipedia one could say that there are many that celebrate name days. But my experience does not confirm that. So, for those who have not heard about name days here it goes:
name day is a tradition in some countries in EuropeLatin America, and Catholic and Eastern Orthodox countries in general. It consists of celebrating a day of the year that is associated with one's given name. The celebration is similar to a birthday.
The custom originated with the Christian calendar of saints: believers named after a saint would celebrate that saint's feast day, or in the Eastern Orthodox tradition, the day of a saint's death. Name days have greater resonance in the Catholic and Orthodox parts of Europe; Protestant churches practice less veneration of saints. In many countries, however, name-day celebrations no longer have connection to explicitly Christian traditions.

My name is Anna and my name day falls in 26th of July. At least that is how it is in Poland where my roots are. It has been only some days ago that it was my name day. Of course, nobody here in Sydney made any fuss of me on the account of this day, except for some Polish friends. Thank you all of you who still remember the Polish ways and me. However, I received unexpected greetings coming from the Polish friends and one very special Skype call from Poland. The call was from my best girlfriend, I have written in my previous post about, and her grandchildren. The cute four-and-a-half-year-old dressed in a party dress sang the birthday song with the help of the whole family. Her one-year old brother seemed also very happy looking with admiration at his older sister making funny noises. This was indeed special to me. Thank you, little ones and the grownups!

The next day I received a parcel from the same friends with my name day present. It should not surprise anyone that it was a book. This time the book in Polish and by Polish authors Jacek Dehnel and Piotr Tarczynski who publish their crime stories under the name of Maryla Szymiczkowa. I know, this is a very Polish unpronounceable name. The finesse and humor of the story is difficult to explain in English, so I will not try, at least not this time. It is a great present, and the parcel fillers were also gratefully received, especially some soup ingredients to improve my cooking.
Image result for jacek dehnel
The authors of my new book
                                                              
The authors of my present are a couple and I believe that their crime stories, which are very funny, give the authors as much joy and laughs as those of us who read the books. I have known writing of Jacek Dehnel since the beginningof his career as a writer. He published his first book Lala when he was only 26. It was at the time when I went to live in Poland. I visited book shops frequently and Lala caught my attention by its cover, picture of the author and the write up about Jacek Dehnel. Stories about him and interviews were very much up in your face. He is gay and he seemed to be provocatively teasing the Catholic Poland treating his preferences as natural. Naturally they are natural, but he was rather outspoken about it. I love his dress sense and this was also provocative as well as most likely pleasing his aesthetic tastes. I could not find his photos of the time but he went for walks in a black cape with red satin lining, walking stick with silver head and a top hat.  His taste has mellowed with years but he is still an elegant dresser not following any current trends but his own pleasure. Actually, I concentrated on things that are not important but fun nevertheless. It was easy to lose my way as there is so much about this Renaissance man. He is a writer, poet, photographer and there is more to him than that. But he was not to be the subject of my story.
       Image result for jacek dehnelImage result for jacek dehnel
It was supposed to be about name days so I finish with a nice image of such days in a Swedish style and maybe write some more about Jacek Dehnel works some other time.
                                    Image result for name days carl larson

7 comments:

  1. Happy Name Day Anna - I hope that's how one acknowledges it? And thank you for provoking me enough to research St Anna/Anne - who is said to be the grandmother of Jesus.

    I never knew that, and because I believe all knowledge is potentially useful, I thank you for the impulse to research your name.

    kvd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much KVD, this is exactly the right form of the greetings.

    I am glad I have contributed to extending your knowledge especially that it strikes me as a very impressive one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just looking at this page:

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_days_in_Poland

      - and it seems you have another 'name day' tomorrow - 7th August - so I hope you have a lovely day, again.

      I am a bit wistful writing this, as I searched the page for 'anna' and got many hits on Joanna, which was the name my wife and I gave to our 2nd daughter, who unfortunately died during birth.

      Delete
    2. I apologise - that was me. I was distracted, and forgot to identify.

      kvd

      Delete
    3. And here I thought I was unique as far as name-days go. I also checked and there are more than one, but I have not found one in August. It is nice to get greetings, but you can relax, it is the Polish custom to celebrate only once a year.

      I am sorry that in the process of searching for information you touched such a sad memory. I hope the sadness is also linked to other tender memories that are not sad.

      Delete
  3. Name day greetings and best wishes that you have many more of them. We do not have them here in India but we have two birthdays every year. The official one using the Gregorian calendar. This the date of birth on our birth certificates. The other one is the Hindu calendar which follows the Lunar system. I don't celebrate either but, family and friends do send greetings and sometimes surprise me with gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much, Ramana, for the greetings. Interesting that you have in India two days to celebrate a person. In Poland there was only the name day to start with but with influence of american films and television the birthdays became also the way of celebration.

    ReplyDelete