Saturday 25 August 2018

Fascination with Mountains


It has been a long time since I wrote a new post. The delays are due to lower spirit caused by not the best stretch in the health department of mine. It is time for allergies to flair up and that added to my general health maintenance issues.

I wonder why I started my post in the way I did. Do I think my readers need an excuse from me? Has my old friend - guilt (I am working on getting rid of it) kicked in again? Is it that I have not come up with an interesting subject to write about and am asking for understanding? All the above? Looks like it.

Some time ago I concluded that my blog will be a series of essays or as my very European soul prefers to call it - feuilletons. “Feuilleton” seems to me more like literary type of writing while an “essay”  indicates something like a school assignment.

So, the subject of my feuilleton today will be – Fascination with Mountains. 

There are two things that brought the subject of mountains to my attention. One of them is the a series of posts by one of my favourite bloggers Hans the Hiker. He impresses me with his determination to put dreams into plans and then into action. From what I can observe he succeeds big way. His most recent writing relates to his Mont Blanc walk. New posts are still being added but the first ones were enough for me to get into the mood of the hike and want for more. I recommend his  site.

I do not think I am particularly pessimistic thinking that such trips and views are beyond me now. Actually, many years ago when I spent time in Polish Tatra I had some altitude problems and was advised to avoid high mountains in the future. But mountain views are stunning; on Hans’ blog and in my recollection from student days. As I lived in the middle of rather circularly shaped Poland, summer trips were usually planed with change of scenery in mind. That meant either the mountains on the south of Poland or north at the Baltic shore. The two of my closest student friends and I went few times to Polish Tatra staying near Zakopane, the most fashionable place in the Polish mountain region. This was a great time for bonding and building trust one thought will last for life. And this is one of my most  profound disillusions and the saddest experiences of the recent. I know it is time to let it go, so I salute to the old friendship. 

                                 

Back to Zakopane and our holidays. We walked a lot in beautiful valleys with refuges feeding us local specialties. Reading Hans’ blog I came to a conclusion that Polish Tatras are a small brother of Alps but they beat even Italy as far as feeding tourists is concerned. Now and in communistic times, I can remember.

Image result for zakopane food
This looks like enough calories to prepare for a long hike


Image result for zakopane food
The cheese is very special and you can buy it only in Polish Tatras. 
Being young girls, we laughed a lot (maybe all the time?), we talked a lot and we read a lot as well. Magic times…


Image result for giewont
This is Giewont. Can you identify a laying man? His head and torso?


The memory of my holidays in the mountains was triggered by watching rather silly old Polish series – In Stilettos on Giewont. Giewont is one of the most recognizable Polish mountain sites; it is often named a Sleeping Soldier. The TV series is really silly and I gave up watching it after a short while but it brought the memories that are very important for me. There is a very special climate around the place, very distinctive culture, even language is different and very melodious, architecture  Image result for zakopane architecture  and way of dressing. Image result for damski goralski haftowany kożuch Maybe a lot of that is the show for the tourists those days, but even if it is only a show it is a very good one. Back to Hans’ posts, I can not stop myself to put a little add for Polish Tatra and its resorts. They are wonderful walks there. Not of the magnitude or beauty of Alps, but there is enough beauty to be found on less strenuous walks that for many will be demanding anyhow.

Image result for zakopane views
How about that for a view? Valley of Five Lakes.

Image result for dolina kościeliska
Or this one? This valley was our favourite walk.







Image result for zakopianskie husty hustyWith some luck I will get myself such a scarf to feel warm in Australia and dream of Polish Tatra.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for bringing topic of mountains. I was also fascinated with them, I mean Polish mountains - Tatra, but for many years they were just memories of my mother. I visited them first time when I was 21 years old. Later visited mountains many time, mainly in winter, for skiing. Actually more frequently I visited - Sudety - mountain range in South-Western Poland.
    My most exciting mountain experience took place in Caucasus mountains, in Soviet Union. My relation from this visit (in Polish) is here ==> https://ewamaria2013texts.wordpress.com/2017/10/01/wsrod-przyjaciol-moskali-1/
    Another thanks for a link to Hans the Hiker. Actually his last post is about Tour of Mt Blank, which I made 12 years ago. My relation, this time in English, here ==> https://sites.google.com/site/pharlap1941/Home/tmb
    Looks like I used your entry to promote my memories. Sorry, but memories are dominating my current life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny about that, memories, I mean. I am almost obsessed with memories these days. Have we got old?

      Thank you for the links. The story about kulebiak i Chekhov very funny. Chekhov's prose simply fantastic in the part you quoted. It is difficult to believe that ideology can kill sense of humour and commons sense. Scary times they were.

      Yes, it looks that you and Hans walked the same walk only your description is very terse.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the plug and your very kind words Anna. Yes, walking Tour du Mont Blanc was quite an experience. I’m blogging one post for each of the 11days on the trail and 1for each the day before and the day after. Still got two more to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like you may have a new follower in Lech. Looks that he walked the same walk as you.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the club. I am fascinated with mountains as well and I live 900 Mts AMSL just at the foothills of our great Western Ghats. I love to go up to some of the resorts on it close to home and also love to drive over it on my way to Mumbai. I have also been to our Himalayas at many places and if only my health would permit, would go again. My trip to the Mont Blanc in the Swiss Alps is one of the cherished memories of my travelling days and I have written about all these experiences at various times in my blog.

    My health now does not permit me the luxury of hiking which I used to enjoy but, I hope that my son will take up to it as he intends to shortly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really looks that there is something like a magnet in mountains. People seem to be drawn to them and cherish the memories for many years if not for ever. Of course there is a majestic beauty about it but I think that there it may be something spiritual about it as well.And you have this beauty just outside your door! Lucky you. I just looked it up and Western Ghats are beautiful mountains and so green.

      Delete