Sunday 9 September 2018

Why do we read?



There are different reasons for different people and even the same people read for various reasons at specific periods of their lives. I have realized that lately I read heavier type of books, and started to ask myself the question why do I read at all and what is my need for reading based on those days. Some suggestions which convinced me are to be found in one of the Alain de Botton’s books in the chapter about reading. Maybe the answer is “Because books are so good at helping us to become aware of certain things we feel”? Do the books provide us with answers? De Botton does not think so. He says “our own wisdom begins where that of the author leaves it off…” or “Reading is on the threshold of the spiritual life; it introduces us to it: it does not constitute it.”
                                                        
Image result for de botton proust reading
So, let’s say that I read in this period of my life to uncover some of my feelings that may have been dormant or I have been blind to. I am not sure if I am progressing as my emotional life is still full of confusion. Things are messy while I like them nice and neat, well structured. Looks that I will not be able to have it my way, no matter how hard I try. Control over my life is also doubtful. Perhaps it always has been that way but I was not forced to see it so clearly as I am now, that I need to submit to medical treatments playing havoc with my well-being. So, I am looking for new answers to my perennial question: “How to live, prime minister?” Will books help? They should to some extent, at least I can use them to amuse myself while waiting till some difficult times pass. The only problem that reading purely for amusement does not work for me. At least not now. I thought, I try though. Since I am in still in a catch-up mode to cover the years of break in reading fiction, I thought that it is time to read some of Ian McEwan. People rave about him. I got two of his books from the local library, not exactly my pick, simply what was there.

Apparently and coincidentally the book is a remake of Hamlet even if not a part of the Hogarth project. McEwan was not invited to it and some think that it was a mistake in Hogarth Press judgement. So, he wrote his version without any invitation and published it before Gillian Flynn’s rendition of Hamlet will be finished. Did he win the race? This we will find out. The book did not resonate with me on a deeper level, but I admire the masterful story telling. At the same time, it was a good example of a mostly good book that did not do a job for me. Looks that I do not read books for their story line only. I think that the readers pleaser were the descriptions of the embryo imbibing the alcohol drunk by his mother and making in depth wine connoisseurs’ comments. Cute, I would say, and the writer perhaps could not take my complement as pleasing. Looks that I needed  to have my jibe as I only reluctantly give the author credit for the book. There is a bad taste in my mouth it left. I have ticked off Ian McEwan and do not have to return to his writing, unless persuaded.  

                                              Image result for nutshell mcewan

The children Act and Nutshell. After few pages of The Children Act, I realized that this is not going to be a book to read for fun. Well written, yes. Interesting, yes. Only I knew the film with Emma Thompson and Stanley Tucci and I remembered it well, so I put it aside and started the next one. I must say that it was a novel idea to make an embryo a hero and the narrator of the book. One has to smile and shake one’s head at the concept. I responded to some of the humour, but a bit reluctantly. The style of writing is impressive, but style only never impressed me. I need some essence, meaning.


10 comments:

  1. Nutshell - this is my book of this year.
    But I never read books to find any answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you liked it, I read your review in Good Reads. I still do not quite understand what you liked about the book. And the book of the year? I do not look for answers either, just some thought stimulation. This one made me feel sorry for myself that I can not drink some of the wine McEwan writes so temptingly about.Not enough to like the book though. Must admit this is an interesting concept to write a book from such a perspective.

      Delete
  2. In my case, it is very simple. I read because I have nothing better to do. Whenever I do, I simply do that and stop reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I complicate so many things, but this is how I am constructed. You are lucky too, it is not always that I can concentrate on reading, even if I do not have better things to do. From what I know about you, you happen to read really good books, though.

      Delete
    2. Very much agree with this attitude/approach!

      kvd

      Delete
  3. Hi AC - I'm putting this comment here only because I'm not sure how closely you monitor old posts? It is to do with a film (and book) you reviewed - "Call Me By Your Name" - which I've finally been able to watch on my paytv.

    I watched this mostly because of your commentary, and while I do agree with parts of your perceptions, I'm probably not as much a fan of the film as I think you were.

    Firstly, the easy part is to agree that the film is beautifully photographed, and whoever selected the background vistas for the story is to be congratulated and admired. But then we move to the story arc, and I find myself a little at odds with your own feelings. I think we can all still remember the intensity of first love, and the film portrays this quite well, but I came away disturbed by the age/experience difference between the lead players?

    It is always difficult to put ages to roles, but my impression is that one is 16-17 and the other is 4-6 years older - maybe 23-24?. With that interpretation, I felt that Oliver was guilty of imposing his quite hedonistic outlook on a much younger, impressionable, unformed youth - and it was this disparity more than the same-sex relationship which gave me pause.

    Add to that my usual complaint that any film with more than 10-15% of screen time photographed in darkness is usually hiding weaknesses, and I'm sort of convincing myself that the film was not particularly satisfying or revealing of any particular 'insight'.

    Apologies for being so off-topic, but your review made me seek the movie out, and I thought you deserved an honest response.

    kvd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I am reluctant to add this footnote, because I am in no way qualified, but I must add that this film would be regarded in some circles as somewhat questionable - in that it clearly depicts a youth experimenting with his sexuality (hetero -v- homo) at an impressionable age.

      Which quite goes against the "born that way" position which now seems accepted?

      Anyway, not seeking an argument, because I have no position on the matter.

      kvd

      Delete
    2. • It is always good to get your comments and most of the time they contain some criticism (or even a lot). But this is what I especially appreciate. It makes me review my thinking and look from a different perspective. I am sorry (a little bit, at least) that I influenced you to watch the film which you put in the category, I describe as, "so what". It may mean that you wasted some time.
      On reflection, I agree that the age difference is a bit disturbing even if Elio was the initiating part in the relationship. Having written about looking for insights in books I realised that the film did not offer that many. However, Enio’s father saying that the first love is most valuable and most powerful and that one gives less to each following one was a revelation to me. I checked it against my personal experience and this is exactly how it was. I had less to offer with each following love even if I was a romantic girl. Maybe that simply was just becoming more experienced and less gullible?
      Another insight that was important to me was that love is beautiful no matter what form it takes. And maybe the love between the boys was so profound (the book describes it even better) that I was enchanted by a possibility of such experience by some lucky people.
      • I get emails when a new comment is written, but thank you for making sure that I read yours.
      • Have you, by any chance, read Nutshell or any other book of Ian McEwan? As you know I was not impressed by Nutshell and so many people love it that I am still searching what I have missed that I find the book inconsequential. Like you, the film. Does it just come to personal preferences?
      • About “born that way”. I do not have a firm view either, but may be there are two models here. Some are born that way and some experiment. Or maybe “born that way” are using this label not to own up to their choices. Especially that there is still stigma attached to being gay.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for yet another thoughtful reply AC and, if it occurs again, I will post my comments on the appropriate post, rather than your latest one. But for now:

      1) I have read McEwan's Atonement and Black Dogs - the latter being one of the few books I have recommended onwards to a friend I share reading tastes with.

      2) I wrote my original 'review' without reference to anything available on the web, and then for interest went searching for other opinions - and picked up one minor point which I wish now I had remarked upon to you: the appearance in two scenes of flies - quite distracting, I thought?

      And such is my mind, I then spent some time trying to remember any other film with an errant fly - i.e. not of the sort where flies are used to emphasise death, or putrification, etc. - and I can think of none. It's a very minor point, but I'm now wondering if "the fly" intruded on your own perception of this movie?

      And lastly, I did not regard watching this movie as a "waste of time" but your "so what" categorisation of my reaction is probably fair.

      kvd

      Delete
    4. 1) I am not sure if I share your taste of books, but I would be very interested to get your reading recommendation. Black Dogs are now on my list.
      2) I just read the article you perhaps based your comments re flies on and I find it interesting, but I must say I did not pay attention to flies while watching the film, even though I recall the last scene and this disturbing fly. From the distance of time I think that watching the film I was simply overtaken by the picture of love such as I always imagined the ideal love should be.
      The idea of summers and love being ephemeral seems poetic to me (even if flies are the symbol) and I like it. Also using an errant fly seems interesting. If you ever remember the films with it, please share.

      Delete