Wednesday 13 January 2016

The Revenant

 Just a brief note about my impressions on The Revenant. I did not intend to see the film until the news about the Golden Globes:  the best motion picture, the best director, the best actor. Since I am interested in films, I thought that I should see it even if I knew it was not my type of a film.

Well, I spent big parts of the films under my seat (a metaphor of course). The violence and the cruelty were much too much for me. Was it art? Not in my mind. Has Di Caprio showing disgust in eating a still warm liver of a freshly killed animal, displayed his prowess as an actor?   I would say that he did not have to use any acting skills at all. Putting actors though ordeals does not deserve acting awards in my opinion. If Di Caprio gets an Oscar this year it will be mainly for his perseverance in jumping through director's hoops. He waited a long time for his Oscar, in my opinion if you work  in your profession with dedication for a long time, you deserve a superannuation. But Oscar? Hmmm...

The story is simple if not simplistic and not even believable. I have been told in one of the comments that the story is actually based on true events. Well... it shows that real life is sometimes unbelievably strange. I thank kvd for the information.  

There was one thing about the film I liked, the photography.

I do not dare to rank the film, I started to wonder if I know anything about films at all.

I was planning to see The Hateful Eight, strangely enough I like Tarantino, but I will think it over. I used all my resistance to violence and cruelty watching The Revenant.

4 comments:

  1. The former has not been released here and the latter is being released tomorrow. While Tarantino and Jackson are favourites, I will not be seeing either film exactly for the reasons that you write about. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been listening to reviews of the film and its technical value is always underlined. Since I do not appreciate technical side of films much, it has been wasted on me. Photography of woods created a special mood, it was very beautiful if overpowering but I need a story to learn from or ponder on. I did not find it in this film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regarding your thought that the story was "simplistic and not even believable" it might be worthwhile reading this link http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/the-revenant/leonardo-dicaprio-hugh-glass-true-story/

    While we all have past histories which when retold are either "jazzed up" or reordered for dramatic effect - Bligh and the Bounty mutiny in mine - it seems there is some truth behind The Revenant.

    kvd

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you caught me, thank you for the link. Life is sometimes more surprising than fiction. "Jazzing up" is in my opinion natural, forgivable and even at times has an artistic value. I agree that we sometimes change our own life story without realising it.

    After few days since seeing the film I have more distance to it and am perhaps less critical. Still, not my type of film and not my type of acting.

    ReplyDelete