Tuesday 12 January 2016

Suffragette


Typically I sort out my impressions, observations and judgment related to films through writing about them and then most of the time I post the written review. This time I have a bit of a backlog. I have seen lately Suffragette and Truth. I liked the films but they did not make a significant impression on me and I did not know what I could really write about them. There has been another reason too. I wanted to continue writing about my plans for 2016. This is not an easy subject and I still have some work to do before I really know how I want to live this year to make it really special this time. The best year ever, as some gang ho motivators say. Let’s say a good year, anyhow. I will get to it soon but for now it will be about the films I have seen, as it looks I need to do some catching up with films to see the ones that were awarded Golden Globes.

                                Image result for suffragette film

Suffragette, I believe, is a British film, at least many actors playing  in the film are British. Carey Mulligan, Helena Bonham Carter, Romola Garai, Ben Whishaw, Brendan Gleeson. Well, Brendan Gleeson is really Irish but this is definitely not a Hollywood production even if Meryl Streep plays the cameo role of Emmeline Pankhurst, the political activist and leader of the British suffragette movement. Woman who helped women to win the voting rights. Being a recently declared feminist, I had to see the film. It was sort of an obligation, really. I realized how little I know about women movements that were so necessary for me to be as independent and free as I am now, in the XXI century. It was not that long time ago when Swiss women were not allowed to vote. They got their rights as late as 1971.  I found that very surprising. One would think Switzerland is a civilized country. Obviously not in all aspects. No wonder women still have issues with equality, it is still rather new.

I have not liked to hear about violence related to feministic movements. I do not agree with violence in any form. Seeing the film, however, I realized that women of the times did not have any other choice but to bring their point across in a violent way. They were not heard unless they shocked or scared the society. Did Emily Davison wanted to shock through suicidal stepping in front of the King George V’s horse or was she just unlucky?  The truth most likely will not be known but this does not change the fact that she was in despair to bring the message across no matter what the price. And that price was her life.

                                        
The film is also about growing up. Maud, played by Carey Mulligan, at the beginning of the film is just interested in what is going on among women she works with. Coincidently she gets involved in presenting women plea for voting rights.  This starts her strong involvement in the movement leading to loosing her family. She becomes a woman with the purpose. I like the way Carey Mulligan handled the metamorphosis of the character. Rather a subtle performance and by this subtleness powerful.

What particularly moved me was the story of Maud’s husband who through pressure of the society threw the too independent woman from home and not being able to combine taking care of their son and working, gave away the son for adoption. His last cry was: what have I done ??!! Looks that men were also hurt by unjust treatment of women.

This brings me to my favourite couple of the film actors : Romola Garai and Ben Whishaw. Ben Whishaw plays the father and the role of Romola Garai is this time not particularly significant. I first saw them in the series The Hour, they both were memorable. Since then I have seen them in several productions and I believe that they have great future ahead of them, at least Ben Whishaw.

                 Image result for romola garaiImage result for ben whishaw

Maybe the film made more of an impression on me than I initially though or maybe I am too verbose? In any case it is enough this time, I will have to write about Truth on another occasion.


My rating 6 out of 10.

4 comments:

  1. I would treat that rating with respect and would see the film if it is released here. I however doubt that it will as I doubt that Indian film goers will support the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may not know the situation in your country and its films taste but I can see why Suffragette may not be the film popular in India.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am late, saw Suffragette yesterday. I know it does not make sense to write comments to blog entries published more than 3 day ago, but then... I do not have very important message.
    1. Sufragette - the movie - disappointed me a bit, my rating would be 4/10. While the issue is important and some scenes made strong impression, as a whole I found the moovie tiresome.
    2. The issue - voting rights for women. This was only the British side of it, which was interesting and dramatic, but brought a question - how others coped with it? I find the answer quite interesting - New Zealand - the leader - voting rights in 1893, Australia - 1902. Explanation looks simple - countries of free settlers, free of luggage of feaudal tradition. Poland - 1918 - earlier than UK, similar reason - a new beginning. Russia / Soviet Union - new orded, revolution. This brings me to next point - socio-economic order.
    3. Socio-economic order. The movie almost ignored this point. Well, Maud described her work career, starting work in the age of 7, miserable pay 14 shillings per week (less than men), low age expectancy. But men at the bottom of the social ladder were not better. Maybe worse because men/boys participation in workforce was much higher and they were assigned to much harder and more dangerous jobs than women. And they had voting rights.
    My conclusion is - voting rights are the secondary issue. Primary one is socio-economic order and this one is rarely won at the election. This in my opinion is the reason of very low participation in elections in countries with serious socio-economic problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pharlap,
    Never too late for comment as far as I am concerned, especially if comments are so well thought through as yours.

    Frankly, I was not all that wrapped up in the film myself, but during writing my post, I reflected and found things that caught my attention and things that moved me. You are absolutely right that voting rights are only a part of equality issue and there are socio-economic issues above it all.

    Thank you for your comments, they always make me think, especially those in which you do not agree with me. But I like when you agree with me even more(lol).

    ReplyDelete