Thursday 21 January 2016

The Hateful Eight

I have seen the film! And I am happy that I got courageous at the end. I perhaps made too much of a deal out of my little dilemma. The Revenant was  difficult for me to such an extent that I lost perspective for a while. Maybe it makes The Revenant a good film, definitely a powerful one, but I did not like it. Tarantino is different, maybe not everybody’s cup of tea and there is a lot of blood in his films but he is definitely my cup of tea, however strange it seems and  blood in his films does not seem real, so it does not bother me, strangely enough.

I have seen The Hateful Eight in the Ultra Panavision 70mm Roadshow. A lot about such screening is more technical than I would like to spend time on to fully understand, but the big screen made an impression on me. It seems strange that in the 1950s and 60s some films were made using this technique and then it was stopped. I also liked the musical overture to start the show, an intermission between the acts and a souvenir program. And no ads or shorts before screening. They are all features of an old fashion roadshow.

Since it is rather hot in Sydney those days, I chose a midday session to cool off in an air-conditioned cinema. The cinema was not full, but there were more people than usually at such an early time and the audience was somehow different to what can be seen other times. A number of young men who came on their own was rather unusual to see, but for some reason I liked it.

What about the film? Fantastic story with almost Agatha Christie suspension right up to the end.  Sense of humour that resonates with me. I only wished for subtitles as I missed some dialogues delivered in strong accents. The performance of all the actors was absolutely splendid; I cannot even pick who I liked best. Maybe Samuel L. Jackson? Really hateful. Or Jennifer Jason Leigh? Really awful. Or The Hangman – Kurt Russell?
              
                                                                                                         

I know that I may seem a bit strange to some and I understand it, but it looks that I am really converted to Tarantino’s ways. There was not a moment in the three hours of the screening that I would feel bored. And the music of Ennio Morricone! Brilliant.

During the credits displayed at the end of the film Tarantino teases us with Orbison’s song There Won’t be Many Coming Home and the song fits so well the ending of the film.

I have been thinking about the film quite a lot, it left a strong impression on me and a desire to see it again. Maybe even more than once. I also read some reviews, most of them very complimentary. Obviously Tarantino has many followers of his unusual talent even if film industry does not spoil him with awards.


In addition to Tarantino’s special sense of humour, great acting, fantastic story to the last scene full of surprises, music and photography the film carries also a profound message. Using terms from some of the reviews it places a mirror in front of America. Hateful Eight represent hateful characteristic of American people. This must be difficult to take. I felt really uncomfortable watching the scene of the Confederate General Sandy Smithers expressing his conviction and views on Yankees. The n word was flying high and often. I could hardly believe I was hearing it right. One of The Confederate quote is : “ According to the Yankees, it’s a free country”. Well, Gone with the Wind does not look that pretty any more.
                                           
                               Image result for the hateful eight The confederate        
My very subjective rating 10 out of 10. 

2 comments:

  1. I normally would have automatically gone because of Tarantino and Samuel Jackson but the theme was a bit unsettling and I decided to give it a bye. It may be too late now, as every Friday they take off films that are not drawing crowds. I will see if it is still on next week, I shall go and see it because of your review again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will take responsibility,as I am seriously positive about the film. I trust that if you like Tarantino you will not be disappointed. There is so much more to the film than I wrote about. I may add some further thoughts to what I have written. I am still going through the film in my mind recollecting some of the scenes and there are many memorable ones.

    ReplyDelete