Friday 4 March 2016

Post Oscars musings

Finally Oscars are behind us. The decisions have been made. I got carried away this year with seeing maybe too many nominated films.  In fact I have seen many more films than I had intended. If I was not that enthusiastic I perhaps would not have seen either The Spotlight or The Big Short. As it turned out they had been two of my very favourite films. Then I saw 45 Years and now this is my absolutely favourite film. Still I would have been surprised if it got an Oscar. Maybe except for Charlotte Rampling. She was nominated for the best actress, but I somehow would not have expected her to win. I will write about the film in one of my future posts. The film moved me and made me think about human nature, life and relationships in particular.

My personal approach to films is hinged on their messages and psychological content. Aesthetics also have big value to me. I like to learn from films and clarify some complex life issues. I like to me moved, I appreciate subtle humour and  enjoy sharp, intelligent dialogue. I do not know much about technical aspects of making films.  I could not appreciate the fact that The Revenant was filmed only in natural light. After this year, however, I may extend my observations to some technical issues. Who knows?

I made very clear in my previous posts that I am not a fan of The Revenant. Just the opposite. I even do not like Di Caprio. I do not think Oscars should be given to recognize actors’ physical tortures. It was Di Caprio’s personal choice to play horrifically hard scenes. Was that dictated by his overgrown ambition? If so, this is not pretty. Just at the beginning of the film we are faced with the tremendously brutal scene of a bear mutilating the hero. This turned me off the whole film. I even did not have a chance to get to know the film characters and identify with any of them. I was not given a chance to like them or dislike them. I had to face brutal physicality and I coped with it badly so I may have missed more important aspects of the film.

I recently heard that The Revenant is a spiritual film. Coelho and Garcia Marquez  are mentioned as inspiration. Even if I missed the whole point, I am not going to see the film again. It was too painful an experience to repeat it.

I am very happy for recognition of my two favourites The Spotlight (the best film award) and The Big Short (the best adapted screen play).  And of course I am very happy that Morricone  got his Oscar for The Hateful Eight best original music score.

I have not seen The Mad Max or The Martian. For some reason I do not like fantasy or science fiction as a genre of literature or films. I tried to read some fantasy books and I even enjoyed it. Then it became all too much for me. It seemed to be an exercise void of value to me, waste of time really. Maybe time of appreciation will come later?

I have not seen The Trumbo or The Room. At least not yet. This means that my opinion on Oscars for the best actor and actress are not based on sufficient data. Nobody, in my mind, was really good enough. Maybe Eddie Redmayne? Maybe Kate Blanchett?

There are views that Eddie Redmayne played the role of Einar/Lili with only three facial expressions. A sharp comment and, to some extent, I accept it. Except for the scene when Einar realizes that in some way, deep down, he is a woman. This scene was played subtly and masterfully without help of the criticized faces.  Einar was scared, surprised and confused. The playful cloth changes suddenly become more… Great acting.

6 comments:

  1. If you had had a "Like" button, I would have simply liked your post to mark my having visited and read your post. I am not a great fan of the Oscars, and since my movie going partner used my being indisposed to go off alone to see The Revnant, I doubt very much that I will ever get to see it. Perhaps after a few months when the DVD will be available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately Blogger does not have such a button. The Revenant is definitely not a DVD film, I would not recommend you watch it that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger HAS such z button and more.
      Here is a link to instruction:
      http://icanbuildablog.com/2014/12/how-to-add-a-facebook-share-button-to-blogger-posts/
      Here is an example of a blog using it: http://szeptywmetrze.blogspot.com.au/2016/03/odkrywamtworcow.html

      Delete
    2. Hey, I must have had a moment of blindness.
      THIS BLOG HAS Like BUTTONS for FB, Twitter, Pinterest - see the grey box with time of publishing and labels.

      Delete
    3. This time I wrote too quickly. I will look at the instructions more carefully. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. Yes, we have been through that some time ago, I believe. I think that Ramana would like to have a LIKE button on my blog without going anywhere. It should work like the one on FB only be on my blog. Can I do that?

    ReplyDelete