Sunday 16 April 2017

All quite openly, publicly and legally


I am trying hard not to stereotype people, events or countries. But I have emotions and for now it is difficult not to make some generalisations triggered off by this special, to me, book The Hare with Amber Eyes. The thoughts and emotions are about Austria and the Austrians. 

My knowledge about the country was never deep. Now, I discovered few more things, but I still know very little about it. For many years, it has been a country of Strauss and waltzes, Sacher torte, Saltzburger Nockerl, Mozart and Vienna the town from where my engagement and wedding rings came from. It was difficult not to be sentimental about the whole Austria and loved it.

                              Image result for sacher torte

                       Image result for salzburger nockerl recipe

I knew about Anschluss and I thought, poor Austrians, they suffered so. I thought that it was some common denominator between Poland and Austria. Not really. Hardy anybody in Poland welcomed Nazis.  Many Austrians, however, did welcome them with open arms and voluntarily enlisted in Hitler army and organisations.

Was Ted, one of my Austrian colleagues from IBM, one of them? I met this older, nervy person in my first days in Australia. His behaviour was strange, but for me at that time so many things were new and seemed strange. I noticed his shaking hands and shifty gaze. It took a while before he decided to unburden himself and confess that he was flying over Poland in bomber planes dropping those bombes that destroyed Polish towns and killed Polish people. He was conscripted by force, of course, but was force really applied? This I will never know, but now I ponder over Ted’s decision and motivations. It must have been rather difficult for him to meet a Pole so many years after the horrible events. He must have been a very young person, but my compassion for him diminished with my increasing knowledge of the times and Austrian eagerness to join their oppressors.
                                                              
                                  Image result for anschluss of austria
There were many Jews in Austria, influential, wealthy people. People of the banks and lovers of fine arts. Their homes were full of museum pieces. They appreciated beauty of their possessions and they had means to acquire them. When in March 1938Anschluss of Austria happened, there were still many Jews in Europe. They were people who could not believe in reality of anti-Jewish proclamations of Hitler. Such is the power of hope that humanity will prevail. Most of the ones who could not believe that the world will change that much finished their life in concentration camps.

All Jewish possessions in Vienna had to be taken care of. Germans are a very methodical and practical people (forgive my generalisation). In my mind, this is actually a positive characteristic, but this time it was applied in a frightening way. In Vienna after the Anschluss both Germans and Austrians approached the issue of the valuable Jewish possessions openly, publicly and legally. The registers were created methodically dividing the items according to their fiscal and museum value into groups: Hitler’s personal, German Reich, Austria and the least valuable ones for sale at public auctions at Dorotheum. It was all legal, so if any of the original owners would survive a holocaust and saw his old possessions in a home of a respectable Austrian he would know that his host is a rightful owner of say, a portrait of the Jewish grandmother of the guest. So is the Austrian state the rightful owner of many Jewish treasures. Let’s take The Woman inGold. The film told us the story about a very determined lawyer and a woman with a lot of chutzpah to recover the family heirloom from the very reluctant Austrian State to return to the rightful owner what was really taken from them by force. How many such things Austria calls their own and proudly displays in Kunsthistorishes Museum, Leopold Museum, Albertina or Museum of Applied Arts and others?


Suddenly my desire to go to Vienna and visit its museums and art galleries diminished considerably. 

8 comments:

  1. AC, if you will allow a personal comment, you sometimes look backward too much, and so lose the enjoyment of what is, now. I understand this, but it is corrosive to the soul.

    So a task for you. You frequently provide very good insights on movies, and I enjoy reading them - so let me suggest a tiny film, not very well known - but with themes I'd like you to comment upon. And a warning: you will probably have to watch it at least twice to pick up on the very fast dialogue.

    "The Intern" - stars De Niro, Hathaway, Russo. I would be very interested in your comments on the themes of this movie.

    kvd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to get your comment, kvd. Yes, I look backward a lot and do self-analysis from the perspective of time. Do I lose enjoyment of what is now? Maybe. But maybe now is not that exiting.

      I have seen The Intern (only once) and liked it. Here is comment : http://acobserves.blogspot.com.au/2015/10/the-intern-feminist-reflections-again.html

      I get excited about playing bridge and meeting new people for my soul not to corrode. And I also accepted my age that limits me in some things. This means that I have accepted myself and I like this as I like freedom.

      This is perhaps too serious answer, but than again this is me.

      Any further suggestions will be welcome but maybe not totally embraced.

      By the way, what did you want me to see in the film. That it is never too late to be an intern?

      Now, off I go to an Easter party with the family I only read about but never met except for one of its members. For my soul not to corrode (you obviously touched a sore point).

      Happy Easter, kvd

      Delete
  2. Well! Both you and Ramana have seen it, and each seem to have appreciated it? For some reason I find that immensely reassuring.

    kvd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Immensely reassuring? I am glad but surprised by these benevolent sentiments. I am really curious about the reason.

      Delete
  3. I agree to some extent with the first comment of Anonymous. To allow some facts to diminish pleasure, satisfaction, appreciation on art.
    I like a a thought of some Polish writer: art is a ray of divine light. People who create or handle art are just communication channels. So, do not kill the messenger!
    Have joyful Easter time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the comment of kvd a bit differently to you.My appreciation of art grows rather than diminishes. No worries here. Just my emotions towards Austrians are not that great right now. I agree with the polish writer. Who is it?

      You perhaps do not understand that Easter for a solo person may present some problems, but I had a really nice Easter this year. Today is a normal day for me with bridge in the afternoon. I am looking forward to it.

      Delete
  4. It took some perseverance but I read Nazi Hunter; The Wiesenthal File by Alan Levy last month. If you want to learn more about Austria and its pro Nazi / anti semitism, that is the book to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the pointer to more information on the subject. I am interested but I am not sure if this is not too depressing a book, for a person recovering from heart issues problems :). I am tempted though.

    ReplyDelete