Friday 15 April 2016

Henry Strassburger

I said my final goodbye to a friend today. I do not like changing friendships almost obsessively. There were many situations in my life when I was reading signs that a relationship ran its cause and that it is time to file it into memories. It was never acceptable to me to proceed on such signs. Not soon enough at least. However, there are situations when this is unavoidable. Such was the situation this time, Henry Strassburger passed away, today was his funeral and I am sad.

I saw Henry last time not long time ago, two, three weeks ago. When I went to his room, he was sitting back to the door. I touched his arm to catch his attention and through his sweater felt his strong shoulder bone but no flesh. It frightened me. However in the future I will recall different pictures of Henry, like the one of strong Henry during the ride across the Pitt Water with me and my dog as passengers. It was dark and the lights on the water created a very special almost magical atmosphere. This is how I will remember Henry.

Today was his funeral. It was moving as the situation was moving for those who cared for Henry. I wrote about Henry in the past. He was indeed a man of style which was so difficult for him to maintain in the recent years. Visiting him in the nursing home was always heart breaking. Such a degradation of his health and lifestyle. Most of the times however, he was able to be his old self, Henry from the good times. Always generous, kind, cultured. Man of style and dignity. Many things deteriorated due to illnesses, but his taste buds were always in good order. I often thought that I was never able to experience taste to the extend Henry did. Today some men with whom and for whom he prepared their Escoffier Society meals were in the church. I wonder what memories of Henry woke up in them.

There were people who Henry met over many years. We all knew different Henry or rather we were familiar with different parts of his persona. He was a complex person and we have our own filters through which we see people and reality. This means that we have different pictures or Henry in our minds and hearts. I do not have any doubt that if we all put all our memories together a beautiful and complex composition would emerge.  

Henry loved music. We both were born in Poland and there were times Henry asked me about Polish music. On one particular occasion he asked about Górecki’s Totus Tuus. I was so happy when I found the CD in a Sydney shop. Henry was a religious man taking solace in prayer. I believe that Mary was particular object of his attention.

Totus Tuus was Pope John Paul II's apostolic motto. It is a Latin phrase meaning "totally thine" and expressed his personal Consecration to Mary. 
  

 Henry liked this music, this is my prayer  for Henry’s peace, Górecki's Totus Tuus.

6 comments:

  1. I am very sorry to read about your loss. Still remember your blog entry from July 2013 about Henry's father, a distinguished diplomat - http://acobserves.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/gdansk-or-danzig_20.html
    Thank you for link to great music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lech. I was not all that close to Henry, but I am still sad. He took me under his wing when I started my solo life, inviting for Christmas, birthdays etc. That meant a lot. He was born in the hospital located on the same street where my Gdansk flat is. Two opposite corners of a short street. Amazing. I found it out doing some research for Henry on change of street names from German to Polish. But then again, I believe I wrote about it already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was sorry to read this, Anna, although he was getting very frail and not happy where he was. He was important to you and you did keep in touch although it was a difficult not being able to properly help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jim. Yes, it is sad, but in a way this is perhaps for the best. The last few years were very difficult for him.

    ReplyDelete